Dragging graphics, changing line height, resizing bitmaps

Using SuperCard and the Runtime Editor... working with windows, backgrounds, cards and menus.

Dragging graphics, changing line height, resizing bitmaps

Postby OceanWolfe » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:02 pm

I used to do a lot of fairly high level work in HyperCard, and I'm trying to convert some of my old stacks and give them new life with SuperCard. They converted fairly well, and seem to function properly in general. I'm trying to increase the card sizes and everything else in conjunction with the changes and have encountered some problems that I can't find in the help application. These (so far) are:
1) All the graphic objects seem to be locked. They have gray handles and can't be dragged to a new location. I can move them using the "size" control, but not simply drag them. Is that a "feature", or am I doing something wrong.
2) Is there a way to adjust the line spacing (leading) in fields? I see textHeight, but that apparently only returns the height of a line, it doesn't allow it to be changed.
3) is there a way to resize a bitmap graphic? Not the field, but the image itself? I'm thinking not but wanted to check. I have lots of bitmap graphics that are pretty small with present screen resolutions.

Sorry if these are basic, but I've not been able to find solutions using SuperCard Help.

Many thanks
OceanWolfe

Re: Dragging graphics, changing line height, resizing bitmap

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:44 am

1. They probably are locked. Click on each object (or Select All) and look for the "Unlock" item in the Objects menu in SuperCard. In SuperEdit, you'll find the same item in the Arrange menu.

2. Try setting the "Linespacing".

3. In SuperEdit you can use the "Scale Selection..." command in the Arrange menu. In SuperCard you can click on the object and click on one of the handles then drag while holding the option key to scale the image (ad shift key to scale proportionally).
Joe Koomen
>> Random! ...Damn near killed 'em! <<
JoeKoomen2011

Postby OceanWolfe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:20 pm

Thanks for you input Joe, Those all seem logical and about what I had expected, but unfortunately:

1) when looking at the object info window of the card graphics, the only setting that shows up is "visible". There is no lock/unlock button. The only other options are Scripts, Sizes, and User Preps. None of these contains a lock option that I've been able to find. All the buttons and fields of the converted HyperCard stack do have lock options available. By the way the graphic is identified in the script window for it as a card graphic.

2) When I try to set the linespacing in a card field, the result is a message that "Property or Command does not apply to object type".

3) In SuperEdit (which I haven't used much at all, and don't yet really understand why there are two scripting environments), the graphic handles are still grayed out The info window doesn't show any lock/unlock options, but there is a "drag" option which was unchecked. I checked it but it does not seem to change the behavior (or lack thereof) of the graphic.

So, basically, I'm still stumped. Perhaps its some kind of artifact of the conversion process on the HyperCard stack?
Last edited by OceanWolfe on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OceanWolfe

Postby OceanWolfe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:23 pm

Aha! Sorry, I missed that reference to the Arrange menu in SuperEdit. This menu DOES show a lock option, and after I unlocked it things now work! Finally, a place to control the graphics. Seems weird that this is the only location where a locking option can be found.
Many thanks on helping "fix" this particular problem.
OceanWolfe

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:35 am

RE: the lineSpacing

This works for me...

Code: Select all
set the lineSpacing of bg fld "Notes" to 1.0000
Joe Koomen
>> Random! ...Damn near killed 'em! <<
JoeKoomen2011

Postby Scott » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:58 am

OceanWolfe wrote:When I try to set the linespacing in a card field, the result is a message that "Property or Command does not apply to object type".

This property (and a number of others) is only supported in text fields whose allowObjects property is set to true.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:08 am

OceanWolfe wrote:In SuperEdit (which I haven't used much at all, and don't yet really understand why there are two scripting environments)

As with HyperCard, editing in SuperCard means scripts are running, which impose some constraints. Think of it as the runtime not allowing you to do certain things like changing the oil in your car while the engine is running.

SuperEdit is a static editor (meaning no messages or handlers are executed). Because of this you can do things with it you can't at runtime (open more than one card at a time; copy windows and menus from one project to another; reassign cards to a different background; reorder windows, cards, and menus; etc.). For more info see page 45 of the User Guide.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby OceanWolfe » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:20 pm

Scott wrote:
OceanWolfe wrote:When I try to set the linespacing in a card field, the result is a message that "Property or Command does not apply to object type".

This property (and a number of others) is only supported in text fields whose allowObjects property is set to true.

Thanks, that worked.
OceanWolfe

Return to SuperCard Basics