Project Search

Using SuperCard and the Runtime Editor... working with windows, backgrounds, cards and menus.

Project Search

Postby DaveFrancis » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:56 pm

I want to replace the 'Project Search' project in b26 with the one from b25, because I expanded it's window and fields and made the text bigger etc. and don't want to have to do it again object by object.

But before I make the switch, I notice that the one in b26 has been tagged green in the OS. Is that significant? Did you guys change anything within Project Search?

Cheers, Dave.
DaveFrancis

Re: Project Search

Postby Scott » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:02 pm

Just versioning info.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby DaveFrancis » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:29 pm

Okay, thanks Scott.

Cheers, Dave.
DaveFrancis

Postby DaveFrancis » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:20 pm

There's always some damn thing!

Lines in the foundSearch field of the Search Project refuse to select when clicked on. I can't select the field to examine it, so I guess it's locked; but I can't remember how I unlocked it when I 'stretched' a version of it some weeks back (getting senile).

No doubt I could jolt my memory by trawling the Help app - but the damn Help app won't open! :cry:

Dave
DaveFrancis

Postby Scott » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:10 pm

DaveFrancis wrote:Lines in the foundSearch field of the Search Project refuse to select when clicked on

This is due to a list field bug in b26.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby DaveFrancis » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Thanks for the info Scott, I'll bear with it.

Any suggestions regarding the Help app? Double clicking ..SC Pouch/SC Help/SuperCard Help, it's icon starts to expand as per the Finder's animation, then nothing happens.

Dave.
DaveFrancis

Postby Scott » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:18 am

Are you sure you replaced the 'SuperCard 4.8.0' folder that is to go in '/Library/Application Support'?
Scott
Site Admin

Postby DaveFrancis » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Absolutely, that's why I felt it necessary to swap the Project Search for my older one.

Dave.
DaveFrancis

Postby Scott » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:46 pm

I asked because it sounded like the runtime of the Help app timed out. Is there anything in your crash logs for the Help app?
Scott
Site Admin

Postby DaveFrancis » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:35 pm

No mention of Help in ..Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports. Is that where I should be looking?

Dave.
DaveFrancis

Postby codegreen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:57 pm

If Help is simply disappearing without generating a crash log, the reason is VERY likely that you're somehow launching the b25 version. Try typing trace <return> then help <return> in the msg box and stepping through the help handler to obtain the path you're trying to launch it from, then open the enclosing folder in the Finder and check the app's version in its Info dialog.

As for the various selFilled-related selection issues, I was dismayed to see these reports because I was pretty sure I'd fixed this problem weeks ago...

Well it turns out I was right, and it only got broken again at the last minute (D-OH!) when I was cleaning up the mess after a failed attempt to get ListMaster updated to handle SC's newly-empty list data structures in time for the b25 timeout.

It's fixed again now, and hopefully this time it will stay that way...

:oops:
-Mark
codegreen

Postby DaveFrancis » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Thanks for your reply Mark. I ran the trace as you suggested and it's definitely the Help app belonging to b26 that was refusing to open. In case something was corrupted I re-pasted the whole bundle into Application Support - and surprise! it now opens.

Unfortunately, now I find I can't launch SC itself, because it's demanding my name and Registration number, and when they're entered, the Activation button remains grey! :cry:

Dave.
DaveFrancis

Postby codegreen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:18 pm

Was the Help app in the expected location, or someplace else? (What you're describing sounds like it's caused by a failure of the RTE to locate the appropriate copy of the Pouch).

If in the Tracer you convert tpath to Posix (click the Msg… btn after tpath has been built, type hfsToPosix(tpath), and click Do Message) it should read as follows:

Code: Select all
  /Library/Application Support/SuperCard 4.8.0/SC Pouch/SC Help/SuperCard Help.app

-Mark
codegreen

Postby DaveFrancis » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:25 pm

It was in the right place, the path is exactly as you've quoted it (apart from the app not showing it's suffix). But as I said, now that I've re-installed it I can open it.

But I can't convert tpath to Posix now because I can no longer launch SC.

Dave.
DaveFrancis

Postby codegreen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:48 pm

DaveFrancis wrote:But I can't convert tpath to Posix now because I can no longer launch SC.

LOL! Oh, right, sorry... ;)

Presumably SE is giving you the same serial dialogs too then?

If so then there's a problem obtaining write access to one or more files in your /Library/Application Support/SuperCard 4.8.0 folder.

If simply rebooting fixes things, then it's probably just a dangling open file. If not then I'd first run Disk Utility to confirm there's no hard disk corruption before proceeding.

If DU gives you a clean bill of health but you still can't launch, then please try rebooting again and replacing /Library/Application Support/SuperCard 4.8.0 prior to trying to launch SC.

If THAT doesn't fix things, then at least we'll be trying to debug something close to a known fresh install.

HTH,
-Mark
codegreen

Postby DaveFrancis » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:12 pm

Thanks Mark, yes SE does the same.

I'd already tried rebooting and that didn't help. On your suggestion I've now checked the HD - no problem there. I repaired Disk Permissions while I was at it.

Still couldn't launch SC so I did as you suggest, rebooted, replaced both folders again (directly from the download), but I still have the same problem; it asks for my name and registration but doesn't activate the Activate button. :oops:

Dave.
DaveFrancis

Postby codegreen » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:32 pm

And you're entering the 4.8 beta cycle serial number Scott sent you (not your 4.7 reg number), right?

-Mark
codegreen

Postby DaveFrancis » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Guilty as charged Your Worship. :oops:

My senility gets more frightening every day. I'd entirely forgotten there was a different number for the Beta series; what an idiot!

My sincere apologies for waisting your time, Mark. :(

Dave.
DaveFrancis

Return to SuperCard Basics