Minor text display issue

Using SuperCard and the Runtime Editor... working with windows, backgrounds, cards and menus.

Minor text display issue

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:46 am

I noticed a minor display issue in SuperCard 4.8 b26. I have some draw text at 16 point as a single line header on a few different cards. In the new beta of SuperCard the bottom of descending characters in that draw text are all clipped off (such as the bottom of a g,j, etc.). If I open the same project in SuperEdit, the text is displayed correctly.
Mike Yenco
YENCO.COM
Mike

Re: Minor text display issue

Postby codegreen » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:07 pm

It turns out the low-level region management code in WASTE (SuperCard's text engine) is a rat's nest of interlocking bugs presumably intended to work around nasty underlying bugs in QuickDraw's region APIs. My last three weeks were basically spent unraveling this mess, and trying to invent reliable replacements for the errant APIs.

This effort is further along in SE than SC, but clearly is still incomplete! ;)

So please keep the bug reports comin'...

-Mark
codegreen

Postby codegreen » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:26 am

Is this with antialias on or off (or does it matter)?

Could you send me a sample?

Thanks,
-Mark
codegreen

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi Mark,

It doesn't matter if the antialias is on or off. The difference does to some degree seem dependent on font. For example, I tried just the default Helvetica in draw text in SuperEdit and then opened the same project in SuperCard and the descenders (g,j, etc. are fine). But I switched to the "System" font (San Francisco) and the text is just within the bounds of the draw text rect in SuperEdit, but in SuperCard is clipped.

I'm emailing you a copy of the project and also a couple of screen shots of what I'm seeing in SuperEdit vs. SuperCard.

-Mike
Mike Yenco
YENCO.COM
Mike

Postby HairyHighlandCow » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:51 pm

I've been seeing some clipping of text in draw graphics too, but the text has become slightly too wide to fit inside the width of the draw graphic and is clipping on the right hand side. Would you like me to send through some example images?
All the best,
Alec
Externals, projects and software made with SC:
www.hairyhighlandcow.net/software/SC-projects.html
HairyHighlandCow

Postby codegreen » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:11 pm

No, I think I've got this one fixed.

Thanks,
-Mark
codegreen

Postby codegreen » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:27 pm

Well, maybe 'fixed' isn't quite the right word. Text will usually still have slightly different metrics when antialiasing is enabled because it's drawn by Quartz instead of QuickDraw (and so it may still be clipped with some fonts/size/style combinations) but it should now draw as before when antialiasing is off...

-Mark
codegreen

Return to SuperCard Basics