Slow script editing with very large script in Beta 29

Using SuperCard and the Runtime Editor... working with windows, backgrounds, cards and menus.

Slow script editing with very large script in Beta 29

Postby HairyHighlandCow » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:52 am

In one SC project with a large script, around 18000 lines, the new script editor with colour-coding gets very slow. There can be a delay of a second or two between typing and a character appearing on screen. Pasting text can cause a delay of several seconds before the text appears. Will it be possible to improve script editor performance with very large scripts?

The script editor in the Runtime editor seems more badly affected than the one in SuperEdit. There seemed to be a slight slowdown with the same script in SuperEdit but not as noticeable as when using the script editor in SuperCard.

Thanks
Alec
Externals, projects and software made with SC:
www.hairyhighlandcow.net/software/SC-projects.html
HairyHighlandCow

Re: Slow script editing with very large script in Beta 29

Postby codegreen » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:26 am

FWIW this is due to repeated extensions to the range of text that's re-colorized after each keystroke applied over the last few releases in a largely futile attempt to fix a widely-reported redraw issue that (despite literally entire days wasted trying) I've never been able to reproduce here. SE was even slower than SC until a last-minute hack to optimize line break recalculation (that alas apparently caused other problems in rare circumstances).

I *think* I've finally figured out why this was happening (a fifteen year old bug in the window resizing code) but of course I can't be sure (since I still can't reproduce the underlying problem the fix is aimed at). Now I need to go back and restore all the original carefully-optimized colorizing range code from backups, and we'll see what happens...

-Mark
codegreen

Postby HairyHighlandCow » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:24 am

That sounds like a very trying set of issues to deal with! I hope it goes a bit more smoothly for you now.

I think the only redraw issue I saw in the script editor was a few betas ago, sometimes when you pasted a chunk of text the display didn't update until you dragged over the text or scrolled the editor. Was that the widely reported one?

All the best,

Alec
Externals, projects and software made with SC:
www.hairyhighlandcow.net/software/SC-projects.html
HairyHighlandCow

Postby codegreen » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:58 am

Was that the widely reported one?

Yup, that's the one...

-Mark
codegreen

Return to SuperCard Basics