b26: multicolumn list fields

Need help with a script? This is the place to discuss how to get your code running!

b26: multicolumn list fields

Postby sctell » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:02 am

Mark/Scott,

Is it your intention to extend the formatting capabilities of these multicolumn list fields during this Beta cycle or at some future time?

I was thinking of:

1. Cell alignment
2. Different widths of columns
3. Changing the row height
4. Alternating row colours
5. Column/Row lines

Things that would make a list field useable as a table.

or

Should we be thinking of continuing with the use of ListMaster and using multicolumn list fields for simple list data?

I know you have only just posted this beta release but I am eager and a little insight could possibly influence my thinking going forward.

Thanks

Terry
sctell

Re: b26: multicolumn list fields

Postby Scott » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:56 am

sctell wrote:Is it your intention to extend the formatting capabilities of these multicolumn list fields during this Beta cycle or at some future time?

Not for 4.8. There are plans to revisit the DataBrowser control, but that most likely will not make it into 4.8.
Scott
Site Admin

Re: b26: multicolumn list fields

Postby codegreen » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:52 pm

The idea of the extensions to list fields in b26 was simply to wring every last drop of functionality possible out of the List Manager.

In the course of getting the combobox and searchfield controls working I finally unraveled the combination of Toolbox bugs that previously had stopped me from implementing a databrowser-based table object, so I think I finally have a realistic hope of making it work at last (it was pretty close before, but the EditText-based behaviors were still wonky). That control is notoriously buggy and cantankerous though, so it will probably still take a lot more spelunking and almost certainly won't make it into 4.8.

In the meantime though I figured it'd be nice for newbies not to have to dive into the complexities of ListMaster just to implement lists > 8K or with lots of lines...

-Mark
codegreen

Return to Scripting in SuperTalk