SourceRect and beta 29

Need help with a script? This is the place to discuss how to get your code running!

SourceRect and beta 29

Postby HairyHighlandCow » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi,
Just a quick question about sourceRect. In beta 29, setting the antialias of a window to true still causes graphics with a custom sourceRect set on them to display ignoring the sourceRect. Is this something that will be fixed in 4.8, or is it too much hassle and on hold for a future version? I remember you saying there were some things the older graphics system could do which it isn't feasible to bring over to the new graphics system–– if it will never make it across please let me know. It's something I could work around when I move windows over to the new system but it is quite a nice feature to have.
Thanks
Alec

Issue first discussed in this thread:
http://forums.supercard.us/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2839&p=12341&hilit=sourcerect#p12341
Externals, projects and software made with SC:
www.hairyhighlandcow.net/software/SC-projects.html
HairyHighlandCow

Re: SourceRect and beta 29

Postby codegreen » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:48 pm

This issue hasn't been addressed in b29.

PictureData was already deceptively complicated because native QuickDraw doesn't support things like alpha channels and affine transforms (so PD has to sidestep QuickDraw's low-level blitters when these options are used).

Translating all that weird stuff directly into antialiased windows proved extra complicated because Quartz doesn't do 3D transforms, so I either have to try to hand-roll something with third-party code or just patch that stuff over somehow. And I figured until I got that all straightened out it was better to draw the whole image than just have those grcs be blank. SourceRect isn't directly affected by the 3D issue, it's just collateral damage because it's part of the same low-level pictureInfo bottleneck code.

So my best guess is that it will be fixed eventually, but possibly not before 4.8 ships (as it has pretty deep roots).

Anyway thanks for the reminder...

-Mark
codegreen

Re: SourceRect and beta 29

Postby HairyHighlandCow » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi Mark,
Thanks for letting me know.
All the best,
Alec
Externals, projects and software made with SC:
www.hairyhighlandcow.net/software/SC-projects.html
HairyHighlandCow