Error 64 Standalone Maker 4.73 in Sierra

Using Standalone Maker to build executables or delivering projects for use with the SuperCard Player? Discuss it here.

Error 64 Standalone Maker 4.73 in Sierra

Postby hodger » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:42 pm

I installed SC 4.73 on a fresh new Sierra build. When I launch Standalone Maker, the initial window opens without issue. If I try to create a new config, or select an exiting config, I get error 64, and cannot proceed.

It appears that SM is not compatible with Sierra, but I thought I had successfully used this combo before. Perhaps this is the first time I've tried firing up SM on a new Sierra system instead of one that had been through the upgrade path.

I can revert to an earlier OS version, but don't know how far back I need to go.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Greg
hodger

Re: Error 64 Standalone Maker 4.73 in Sierra

Postby Scott » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:31 am

I am not seeing this here, but don't have a fresh install of See Error.

Do you get the same error when trying to prepare a project for the Player?
Scott
Site Admin

Postby hodger » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:41 am

Hi Scott,

I assumed this must be a known issue, thus the light job on clarity. Sorry. Additional info...

When initially getting the 4.7.3 apps installed, I was notified of the unidentified developer and used the "open anyway" option in SysPrefs to launch. I did not modify the system to show the "open from anywhere" choice.

SE, SC, and SCPlayer all launch and work. SM launches, and successfully shows the initial selection to choose Build or Prepare or Open. All of the three choices succeed at moving from that window to a new one before throwing the same SuperTalk Error Number 64: Can't find menu item. When attempting to Open an Existing Congfiguration, the SuperTalk error was only presented after I was able to choose the config file successfully. When I choose Build or Open, the fatal dialog is in front of the SM window in which the build setup occurs. For Prepare, the underlying window is the one with only "Build" and the option to set the project or player document.

Some new, maybe more useful information - when I booted the system today there were "recovered items" in the trash, which was empty yesterday. There were 4 files, all password protected SC documents with only numeric names, non sequential. It seems SaM was at least able to make it through some of the process before needing a menu item. Although these projects are locked, there is a QuickLook preview. This reveals that SaM was able to open my existing configuration file, populate the source and destination path, read my icon file, and populate the icon well with a preview of the app icon.

This boot drive was prepared in the past few days with the Sierra installer on the app store - macOS Sierra version 10.12.4, with no available software updates. Booted on a mac mini 2.5GHx i5 with 16GB memory.
hodger

Postby Scott » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:53 am

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest this is probably due to a very scary new security feature of Sierra… translocation. In a nutshell… until the user manually moves (via the Finder) apps downloaded from the internet but located outside /Applications, when launched they're copied to a read-only randomized location and launched from there. This creates havoc on any references involving relative paths, like the "can't find menu item" error you're seeing.

I am not sure exactly how to fix this. Supposedly the user needs to drag the app out to their desktop BEFORE launching it, then drag it back again. As for how to fix it after it has been launched... I had a couple of terminal steps that might work but can't seem to call it up at the moment.

Maybe Mark can chime in.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:36 am

BTW... this should not be an issue with the 4.8 beta as the dmg is signed.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby codegreen » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:02 am

If that's the source of the problem, running this in the Terminal should fix it:

Code: Select all
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine "/Applications/SuperCard 4.73/Delivery Tools/Standalone Maker 4.7.3.app"

HTH,
-Mark
codegreen

Postby hodger » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:12 am

Quarantine was the culprit. Actually, all the apps had the quarantine xattr, I just had not used them for anything that would prove troublesome.

Thanks,
Greg
hodger

Return to Building Standalones