High Sierra & Standalone Maker 4.7.3

Using Standalone Maker to build executables or delivering projects for use with the SuperCard Player? Discuss it here.

High Sierra & Standalone Maker 4.7.3

Postby tetsuo29 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:16 pm

Hello,

I can't get Standalone Maker to work in High Sierra. When I select "Build a Universal Binary Application", I get the following dialog:

If I just go ahead and select my stack, I get the following:

I saw another thread that suggested running the following command:

Code: Select all
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine "/Applications/SuperCard 4.73/Delivery Tools/Standalone Maker 4.7.3.app"

When I run that command, I get the following:

xattr: /Applications/SuperCard 4.73/Delivery Tools/Standalone Maker 4.7.3.app: No such xattr: com.apple.quarantine

So, I'm wondering, if there's any way to get Standalone Maker 4.7.3 to work in High Sierra?
tetsuo29

Re: High Sierra & Standalone Maker 4.7.3

Postby codegreen » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:54 pm

It looks as though SaM has stored a reference to a 'translocated' copy of the Player (or runtime if you're building an editable standalone).

Try directly launching whichever you're using from the Finder, quitting, then pointing SaM to it (under the Runtime tab) and seeing if that fixes the problem.

-Mark
codegreen

Postby tetsuo29 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:04 pm

codegreen wrote:Try directly launching whichever you're using from the Finder, quitting, then pointing SaM to it (under the Runtime tab) and seeing if that fixes the problem.

I'm sorry, I'm not following you here. I tried launching SaM, then quitting it, then launching it again but, I don't find any Runtime tab and even if I did I don't know what I'd be pointing it to?
tetsuo29

Postby codegreen » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:11 pm

Sorry, I think I misunderstood.

Here IIRC the project SaM is looking for is a copy of a template project it's theoretically just created in the Temporary Items folder (which should be at a randomly-created path somewhere down inside /private/var/folders). It creates this when you click that btn, then opens it to provide the standalone-creation UI.

So as a next step I'd try opening that folder up in the Finder and checking whether a file is actually being created there or not when you click, and if so whether its name matches the string shown in the open file dialog, and whether you have permission to write to it.

-Mark
codegreen

Postby tetsuo29 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:18 pm

I followed it down the rabbit hole to:

/private/var/folders/0m/v6fbqryj41z3758ndfd_j3r00000gn/T/TemporaryItems

...I did this in both the Finder and in the Terminal and that folder is empty.
tetsuo29

Postby vinnie-bob » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:44 am

heh - I was just composing a PM to Mark for this exact bug. However, I am finding it in the 4.8b30 that I am using. Everytime I try to open a project to create a Universal Binary App, I get the "SC error 63: can't find Menu" dialog and clicking anything in the dialog quits SaM.

I relaunched SaM and then tried selecting "make a template" from the menubar to see where that got me and doing so brings up a "locate file" dialog:
Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 8.27.56 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 8.27.56 AM.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 294 times

If I follow the path to that folder, I find an empty Temp folder. I haven't tried to make a standalone in forever, so the last time I used it must be years ago, probably with 4.7, which is now archived.

MacOS 10.13.3, SC 4.8b30
------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Postby codegreen » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:08 am

Okay it's starting to come back to me now... ;-)

Back in mid-December Scott told me about a problem with the fileCopy XFcn under High Sierra (I think he was probably already responding to a report about this SaM issue). Apparently it doesn't affect all systems (the XFcn still works 100% reliably here for example) but I managed to track it down to a new bug in HS's PBHCopyFileSync.

Anyway I put together a new version of fileCopy that uses a more modern API, but it's not in b30.

Unfortunately AFAIK there's no way for end-users to retrofit it to SaM 4.7 when b31 posts...

-Mark
codegreen

Postby codegreen » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:01 am

After I posted that I realized that of course it IS possible to update an external in SaM 4.7 without the password -- you just have to do it from the Player.

Basically once b31 posts (which should include fileCopy 4.81) you'd make a new project and copy that XFcn and the copyResource XCmd into it, then add a button with this script:

Code: Select all
on mouseUp
  if not (the environment contains "Player") then
    alert stop "Oops!" explain "This script requires the SuperCard Player..."
    exit script
  end if
  answer file "Please select a copy of Standalone Maker to update:"
  if it = "" then exit script
  put it & "Contents:Resources:main.sc45" into theProj
  if not exists(file, theProj) then
    alert stop "Bad SaM!" explain "That's not an eligible copy of SaM"
  else
    lock messages
    open inv wd 1 of proj theProj
    get fileCopy("??") via proj theProj
    close proj theProj
    unlock messages
    if it < 4.81 then
      copyResource value(word 2 of long name of this proj), theProj, ¬
        "XFcn", "fileCopy", "D", "D", 123, "true"
      get the result
      if line 1 of it = "false" then alert stop "Update Failed!" explain line 2 of it
      else alert "Update Succeeded!" explain "FileCopy 4.81 was installed"
    else alert "No update needed" explain "FileCopy 4.81 or higher already installed"
  end if
end mouseUp

If run from the Player (or a Player-based standalone) this should update SaM 4.7 with the new fileCopy XFcn. It's not fully idiot-proof, but if you only run it on actual copies of SaM you should probably be OK...

USE ONLY ON COPIES!!!

-Mark
codegreen

Return to Building Standalones