Are fonts embedded?

Using Standalone Maker to build executables or delivering projects for use with the SuperCard Player? Discuss it here.

Are fonts embedded?

Postby drpitcairn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:46 am

I am doing some changes with buttons to use different fonts, like for example if I use Adobe Garamond for a button name that, of course, shows on the button.
When I make a standalone, is that font embedded? Or will it look different if the user does not have that font on their computer?
drpitcairn

Re: Are fonts embedded?

Postby Lisa » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:07 pm

No, the font will not be embedded in the standalone automatically. If a user launched the project without having that particular font on their system, the system or SC would substitute some other font by default, like Geneva or something.

Before saying any more on how to make sure a standalone has access to a font that might not be installed on your users' systems, I should point out that most fonts are copyrighted -- even when you purchase one, your license probably doesn't include redistribution rights. So the following only applies if you have an appropriate license to use and distribute the font in question.

Fonts have FOND resources that can be installed in a project like any other, eg. CURS, cicn, snd , etc. I know I've done it before, but I can't remember how one would go about installing a FOND resource from a font file, whether it has to go in a particular fork, or much else about the matter. Fortunately, there's a more straightforward way to do it these days.

Keep the font file in the same directory as the project and script accordingly. You'll need to install the ATSFontActivate XFcn and its counterpart into the project and call it in the openProject script to activate the font on launch -- read the entry on that XFcn in the Xtend Help, it's a simple one-argument call but note that you need to store what's returned for later deactivation.

When you're ready to build, add the font file to the "Resources" tab in Standalone Maker and it will be copied to the appropriate location within the standalone's package. Note that what you're "adding" to SaM is simply a reference to the file's location, not the file itself; the file is copied as a file (you can see it in the Finder) and is not embedded or imported in the project/standalone as a resource. Didn't you ask about that tab in another post a while ago? So hopefully this makes sense from what was said there.
iMac 24" 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.8, SC 4.7.3
Lisa

Postby drpitcairn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:27 pm

Is this allowed then considering the copyright issue you raised? I don't see the difference.
Another approach, perhaps, is I tried making a graphic that used the font, basically made a graphic that looked like a button and used the desired font for it. Then I put the script in the graphic like you would for a button. Will that work? Since it is a graphic is the font I put in it going to look the same in the standalone?

I should add I used the "draw text" tool to make the graphic.
drpitcairn

Postby Lisa » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:10 pm

drpitcairn wrote:Is this allowed then considering the copyright issue you raised? I don't see the difference.

It's allowed if you have a license. Or if the font is in the public domain (not sure there is any such thing). There are all kinds of freeware fonts you can get on the internet and some are even licensed for commercial use. I think the fonts at http://openfontlibrary.org/ all are, but double-check that first.

drpitcairn wrote:Another approach, perhaps, is I tried making a graphic that used the font, basically made a graphic that looked like a button and used the desired font for it. Then I put the script in the graphic like you would for a button. Will that work? Since it is a graphic is the font I put in it going to look the same in the standalone?

I should add I used the "draw text" tool to make the graphic.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that will work using draw text graphics; I'd guess that SC would need to get the font info from the system. However, if you create a graphic as a bitmap, ie. in a graphics program and saved it to file, you could set the pictData of a graphic to the file and that would look the same; presence of the font would not be required. And yes, you can put a mouseUp handler in a graphic and it will behave much like a button. Off the top of my head, one difference is that you don't get the automatic highlighting when the user clicks on it.
Lisa

Postby drpitcairn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:51 pm

Another difference I notice is that when the window is not uppermost, the graphic "buttons" turn gray.
drpitcairn

Postby Lisa » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:36 pm

Aah, yes. You can change that behavior for buttons and fields by changing the value of the autoDim property. But I don't think it applies to graphics? I could be wrong about that... Experiment.
Lisa

Postby Scott » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:40 pm

Richard,

Just a thought... have you looked through Apple's Human Interface Guidelines?

Required reading for any Mac developer... IMHO.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby drpitcairn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:28 pm

Will look at it. Thanks.
drpitcairn

Return to Building Standalones