How to make resources?

Using Standalone Maker to build executables or delivering projects for use with the SuperCard Player? Discuss it here.

How to make resources?

Postby KevinPaszalek » Wed May 15, 2013 11:00 am

I have some high quality art work that I want to turn into application icons. What program can I use under Mountain Lion. I go back to the ResEdit days, and I haven't found anything like that currently. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places.
Thanks
Kevin
KevinPaszalek

Re: How to make resources?

Postby Mike » Wed May 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Most modern icon tools that are available (on the Mac App Store you can find many) are simply for assembling a collection of artwork that you have already sized (16x16, 32x32, 128x128, 256x256, 512x512 and @2x sizes) so you simply drag the artwork in to the appropriate drop zones in the interface and click a button and it makes your icon from that. There are third-party replacements for Apple's discontinued Icon Composer app that used to come with Xcode and have been updated with support for the newer @2x sizes. As such I don't think there are really any icon "editors" out there as such. Your "editors" are things like Pixelmator, Sketch, Intaglio, etc. now so basically whatever graphics app you prefer.

The icon tools put a nice front end on the assembly, BUT... they are not required as such. You can create a folder with a certain structure (named with an .iconset extension and containing .png (or perhaps other formats are supported as well - I can't remember) named with "icon_16x16.png", "icon_32x32.png", etc for the standard sizes and the additional "icon_16x16@2x.png" sizes for retina displays) and then there is a terminal command that can turn that folder into an icon file too. I thought I saved the command somewhere but can't find it right now but I'm pretty sure an internet search would turn it up or maybe Scott has it handy because I know I shared the info with him back when I last was working on some app icons and figured out how to do this.
Last edited by Mike on Wed May 15, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Yenco
YENCO.COM
Mike

Postby Mike » Wed May 15, 2013 12:36 pm

Found it:

Once you have the folder of .png files set up with the appropriate extension, you use this terminal command:

Code: Select all
iconutil -c icns

And then drag your folder into the terminal window so it will put the path to your .iconset folder after that. Then hit return and you should end up with an .icns file written to the same location as your .iconset folder.
Mike Yenco
YENCO.COM
Mike

Postby KevinPaszalek » Sat May 18, 2013 12:35 am

Thank you a lot, Mike. I appreciate your replies.
What about dialog boxes? Is there a program that can be used to make them like ResEdit? I'm assuming that somehow they could be installed in a standalone.
K
KevinPaszalek

Postby Mike » Sat May 18, 2013 7:25 am

Hi Kevin,

Nothing that I'm aware of (or that turns up in a basic search), but unlike icons, dialog resources are not something I've ever really played with (even back in the pre-OS X days when I used ResEdit). I've always just used SuperCard/SuperEdit to create a window and set its type to Dialog or Movable as needed.
Mike Yenco
YENCO.COM
Mike

Return to Building Standalones