demo script in mountain lion?

Using Standalone Maker to build executables or delivering projects for use with the SuperCard Player? Discuss it here.

demo script in mountain lion?

Postby drpitcairn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:48 pm

I am running OS 10.6.8 and so cannot test a script for making the standalone a demo. Basically the way it works is on opening the project it checks an external file in the user's library/preferences folder, either reads it or creates it if not already there.
Here is an example line.
Code: Select all
put findfolder("preferencesFolder","userDomain") & "GAreg.txt" into filePath

My question is if such a path to the file will work in Lion and Mountain Lion. I have heard they are different than Snow Leopard and that the user's library not so easily accessible. I don't know if this is simply an access issue (visibility) or if the path would be different.
If anyone knows, I would appreciate hearing before I release this standalone to wider use.

Thanks,
Richard
drpitcairn

Re: demo script in mountain lion?

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi Richard,

findFolder is getting the relevant path to the location you ask for from OS X. There are now two types of app... non-sandboxed and sandboxed. Non-sandboxed apps (projects created in SC and built using Standalone Maker) use the same path as prior versions of OS X. The user library is hidden from the user's view now (although easy to get to holding down the option key to reveal the "library" item in the Go menu in the Finder) but it is still there. Sandboxed apps use a different path within the user library. OS X is smart enough to recognize if an app is sandboxed or not and return the appropriate path... and since findFolder is just passing along that data from OS X it is able to dynamically return the right one. So unless Apple does something that breaks whatever API findFolder is calling on this will work fine now and should work fine into the future even if the path changes.

Something you might want to note if you are releasing an app as built with Standalone Maker. There is now a system preference under Security & Privacy that is set by default to allow applications downloaded from: "Mac App Store and identified developers". The user also has options in this preference for "Mac App Store" and "Anywhere". If your app is not available through the Mac App Store or signed with a Developer ID and the default option is selected in that pref, the user will see a message if they try to open your app by double-clicking it that it is from an unidentified developer and there is no option there to open anyway - only to close that message dialog. The user might then become confused and start emailing you saying they can not run the app and only get this dialog coming up. The user can get around this on a case-by-case basis by control-clicking on the app and selecting open from the context menu that appears... they will see the same message that the app is from an unidentified developer but will have a button to go ahead and open the app anyway. And OS X does remember this from that point on so will open the app in future with a simple double-click as expected (at least that version of the app, the user *might* need to repeat the process if there is an upgrade - I'm not certain). Or the user can globally change their app-running preference to from: "Anywhere".
Mike Yenco
YENCO.COM
Mike

Re: demo script in mountain lion?

Postby drpitcairn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:29 am

Mike,
Thank you. Extremely helpful.
I am planning to see through my web site at first, maybe also through the Apple store. So now I know how to handle the problem you described about double-clicking, etc. I do have an Apple Developer ID but not signed up to be active right now. Will have to see how the app works then in Mountain Lion putting in what I have right now.

Richard
drpitcairn

Return to Building Standalones