Trouble with Tiger (10.4)

Using Standalone Maker to build executables or delivering projects for use with the SuperCard Player? Discuss it here.

Trouble with Tiger (10.4)

Postby drpitcairn » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:41 am

My app, after months of work on it, is finally on my web site for download demo and for sale. I have had two other people testing for me and we have brought it to what seems great stability. However, all of us are running 10.6 (Snow Leopard). In creating the standalone, I left the setting for the standalone to work with 10.4 and up.
Here is the problem. One of the testers, reading that, managed to get to a Mac running 104 and downloaded the app and it will not run. On opening it, she gets the error "Supertalk Error 41: Never heard of that function name."
I see that the error refers to "can't load the Finder error" but I don't know what that means other than something with the Finder.
So is it possible that there is a function that runs OK in 10.6 and up but not in 10.4? If so, how do I find out where that error is? Is the only choice to install SC on a 10.4 machine and run the SC project on it?

Thanks for any help.

— Richard
drpitcairn

Re: Trouble with Tiger (10.4)

Postby Scott » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:38 am

Your mixing SuperTalk errors with system errors. This is a SuperTalk error, and has nothing to do with the Finder. SuperCard can't find a function in the hierarchy from where it is being called.

This could be due to an incompatible XFcn, or it is an error in your scripting. Is your user on Intel or PowerPC? If the latter, are you sure any externals you're using are universal binary?
Scott
Site Admin

Postby drpitcairn » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:43 am

I will check on the PowerPC vs. Intel question. However, my tester installed SC on the Tiger computer and found the error is an external function that Chilton made for me. I do not know if universal binary was used or not (and no way to check). So it is looking like the external is not compatible with Tiger. Make sense to you?
drpitcairn

Postby drpitcairn » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:36 am

Power PC.

Machine Name: PowerBook G4
Machine Model: PowerBook3,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (11.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 400 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.1.8f5
drpitcairn

Postby Scott » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:38 am

The incompatibility has nothing to do with Tiger. It is most likely an Intel only external.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby drpitcairn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:40 am

OK. Looks like I have to take it out.
Thanks.
drpitcairn

Return to Building Standalones