How secure is password protect?

Using Standalone Maker to build executables or delivering projects for use with the SuperCard Player? Discuss it here.

How secure is password protect?

Postby drpitcairn » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:45 pm

In distributing my standalone, I have gone into SuperEdit and given the app a password so that scripts, etc. cannot be accessed. In my current standalone, I have a large database in a userprop. Is adding a password like this sufficient to keep another person from getting access to that data?

Thanks,
— Richard
drpitcairn

Re: How secure is password protect?

Postby Scott » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:35 am

A password is pretty darn secure... and prevents a user form opening the file in SuperEdit or an edit capable version of the runtime. But, it does not encrypt data stored in the project, so anyone with a halfway decent file editor will be able to see it. You can of course encrypt the data yourself, but if the program needs to access it, you will need to store the key within the project somewhere, and that will only keep the less savvy from accessing it.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby drpitcairn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:49 am

The function we discussed elsewhere, about 10.4 not working, was one that did this. Chilton made one that would move the text letters over a standard amount. Called rot13, my understanding is that it moved the letter 13 moves forward in the alphabet. So when my database was imported it did this rotate and stored it in a userprop. Then when the program opened a window script would convert that userprop data to a readable form.

put rot13(the rawData of this proj) into gRawData

From what you are saying however, sounds like that the storage of the external in the project is not really that secure either. So looks like I will just have to take the chance no one will get the data. I will depend on the SuperEdit password - unless you know of another external that would work better.
drpitcairn

Postby Scott » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:00 pm

All it takes to view userprops in a password protected project is opening it with something like BBEdit. All the text from user props and text fields will be readable.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby drpitcairn » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:58 am

Egads! Yes, easy to do as I see — just did it in BBedit. What about the data being encrypted with rot13 from Chilton. If I restrict the app to use by only intel machines would that be compatible then? Would make it a little more difficult to get the data wouldn't it?
drpitcairn

Return to Building Standalones