Mac OS 10.9 'Allow access' prompts

Using Standalone Maker to build executables or delivering projects for use with the SuperCard Player? Discuss it here.

Mac OS 10.9 'Allow access' prompts

Postby HairyHighlandCow » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:07 pm

In Mac OS 10.9, every time my application launches three dialog boxes appear asking the user if they want it to allow access to the Calendar, then Reminders and finally Contacts. In the past I seem to recall these only appeared once and then the choice was stored. However, now in 10.9 they appear every time the app is launched.
In the 'Security & Privacy' pane of System Preferences, my app is listed as being allowed to access Calendar, Reminders and Contacts, so I'm not sure why the dialog boxes keep needing to appear. I wondered if anyone knows if this is a new system bug or if Apple have introduced yet more security hurdles to the OS which might be impacting SuperCard standalones.
Thanks,
Alec
Externals, projects and software made with SC:
www.hairyhighlandcow.net/software/SC-projects.html
HairyHighlandCow

Re: Mac OS 10.9 'Allow access' prompts

Postby vinnie-bob » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Hi Alec,

I use an Applescript applet to open filemaker and then open my password database. With Mavericks, I clicked "OK" in the dialog and in the Accessibility > Privacy tab it goes in as "applet.app" which is not the name of the applet! Whenever I run it, it gets interrupted by the dialog.

You can also add apps to the Accessibility list by dragging an app to the pref panel list and it will be added. When I do so with my Applet, it doesn't seem to do anything, perhaps because it is adding "applet.app" and that is already in there.

So it isn't just SC….
------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Postby vinnie-bob » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:25 pm

Hey Alec,

someone pointed me here (http://macosxautomation.com/mavericks/guiscripting/index.html) in response to my applet problem on the Apple Community board.

Note that this points out that applets get the dialog every time because they have variable persistence and thus they modify themselves when they run and they are seen as a "different" applet each time they run because of it. THis could explain the problem you are seeing as well. The article shows a way that you can sign the app to avoid this, but doing it the way they suggest apparently opens a possible security exploit. Perhaps Mark can comment on this. But it might be worth a try to see if it solves the problem at least on your machine. The security issue might be a concern if you are distributing this to users.
------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Postby HairyHighlandCow » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:23 pm

Thanks Vince, that makes sense.
I need to make some tweaks to my app so it doesn't write anything to the app file when it runs. This shouldn't be too much of a problem as the data is all held in a database but I want to go through all the UI and check it all works correctly when the SC project in the standalone is running in locked mode. As I have had a lot on at work I haven't had the time to do this yet. I would also like to code sign my app but this is another chunk of work and requires a payment to Apple I believe. At the moment my app is 'untrusted' so new users with Gatekeeper switched on will be blocked from trying it. Naturally this has cut down the number of new users, but I doubt the work involved in getting the app code signed will result in a massive increase of users so I'm not in a rush to do this at the moment.
Externals, projects and software made with SC:
www.hairyhighlandcow.net/software/SC-projects.html
HairyHighlandCow

Postby vinnie-bob » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:15 pm

Alec,

I don't think they are using "developer level" code signing, because I am fairly certain that would not "enable a possible security exploit". I think this is a side-ways kind of code signing that just lets it work. They don't mention the Apple Developer thing at all!
------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Return to Building Standalones