Loss of tools after modifying

Questions regarding the Developer Edition's SuperEdit? This is the place!

Loss of tools after modifying

Postby Anderson » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:41 am

I modified a project using Super Edit. When I ran the project, I couldn't use the pointer tool. How come?
Anderson.
iMac - Yosemite - SC(4.73)
Anderson

Re: Loss of tools after modifying

Postby bmartin » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:51 pm

The Tools are part of the Runtime Environment, i.e. the RTE. Running a project from SuperEdit does not load the RTE so you can run your project in a "standalone" sort of mode, however it still uses the SharedFile. So after your project opens you can type command-M, assuming you don't trap that in your project, and then type ed and hit return that will launch the RTE so you can further edit your project at run time. Then when you quit it will re-open your project in SuperEdit.
Bruce Martin

Mac Os 10.6.3
2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
bmartin

Postby Anderson » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:34 am

...type command-M,... then type ed and hit return that will launch the RTE so you can further edit your project at run time. Then when you quit it will re-open your project in SuperEdit.

Interesting that SuperEdit closes and re-opens as if in "Stealth" mode.
Actually, my original query turned out to be more of a riddle than a question. The project I was referring to was filed in RTE Utilities folder, I guess it was handled (quite rightly) as a menuitem in that place. In most cases one might assume that an alias would be put in a that (Utilities) folder.
Anderson.
iMac - Yosemite - SC(4.73)
Anderson

Postby Ken Norris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:00 am

Hi Rob,

Your tools aren't gone, they are in the RTE, which is itself a project file. SuperEdit is not connected to it. Instead, it's a standalone with its own engine and tools, designed to work on a project which is _not running_. The reasons for this are given in the User Guide. SE is better for more experienced users, or for switching out windows which you can't do from the RTE.

You're more-or-less right about the 'stealth' thing. When you choose 'Run' from SE, it temporarily opens a project file using its runtime engine. The RTE menus, windows, and tools aren't there because the RTE project file isn't running. Probably not a good idea to open your project with both editors at the same time, though, because one doesn't always know what the other is doing. You could end up confusing yourself. Whatever happens,if you decide to use SE, be sure to save your project. Like HyperCard was, you aren't required to do that from the RTE, i.e., it automatically saves your project when you close ... but SE doesn't.

BTW, I don't know if it still works, but awhile back Vince wrote a little utility that opens and searches the User Guide from the RTE. Myself, I've always thought the Language Guide and the User Guide should be connected, i.e., integrated and cross-referenced, and also available from both the Script Editor and the Property dialogs. Of course that's a lot of work, in which case ... might as well design a whole new integrated interface paradigm.

HTH,
Ken N.
All the best,
Ken N.
http://fhtinyradio.com/
kenn@fhtinyradio.com
Ken Norris

Return to SuperEditing