A SuperEdit aggravating behavior; lack of anesthesia

Questions regarding the Developer Edition's SuperEdit? This is the place!

A SuperEdit aggravating behavior; lack of anesthesia

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:46 pm

This probably aggravates only me but I do it a lot.

While working only in SuperEdit,
if I have a scrolling window of say 800 x anything > 2000 pixels wide
and I'm adding pictureData content to draw graphic objects on the right side of the card (I've scrolled such that the left side of the card has disappeared),
Then every time I add the picture data to a graphic, the horizontal scroll is automatically reset to zero and so, the object I'm in the process of designing pops out of view and I have to manually scroll the window to bring it back into view.
I'd prefer that the scroll not occur at all.

Perhaps others find this to be a feature.
-Dan
Dan_Kelleher

Re: A SuperEdit aggravating behavior; lack of anesthesia

Postby Didier Gross » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:52 pm

Dan,

I never had this problem, using such a large window, but I think it makes sense to fill a request form.

A workaround is probably making your SE window greater, shifting it on the left, partly outside the screen, increasing its width and repeating the process in order to get a huge SE window. Not tested.
Didier Gross

Postby Scott » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:37 am

I see this happening here but it goes away if you make the window a little smaller. Specifically, if you decrease its height so that there is a vertical scrollbar as well.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:04 am

Thanks Scott and Didier,
I'm happy.
As Scott suggested, reducing the vertical height of the window such that a vertical scrollbar appears, solves the problem.

I guess I'm a creature of habit; always using the window, during SuperEdit constructions, enlarged vertically and using the netherland below the card and background (is there any other term for that area ?) for occasional storage of objects that I may use again on the cd/bg.
-Dan
Dan_Kelleher

Postby Dave_Higgins » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:09 am

KelleherD wrote:I guess I'm a creature of habit; always using the window, during SuperEdit constructions, enlarged vertically and using the netherland below the card and background (is there any other term for that area ?) for occasional storage of objects that I may use again on the cd/bg.

In page layout apps I think they call that the PasteBoard. While not technically the same in SC, I think the term could be adopted. :)

It would be nice to have a way to exclude those items in the PasteBoard, back in SC, when using "the number of card/bg btns", etc... Not that I do the same myself very often, but I could see a repeat loop effecting visible (within the card/bg bounds) objects only coming in handy (without additional SC code necessary to check for it). Like "the visible cd/bg buttons". Could effect only those whose visible is true, also?

Maybe for a much future version. ;)
My two favorite teams are Detroit and whoever's playing Chicago.
Dave_Higgins

Postby mrBean » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:25 pm

KelleherD wrote:enlarged vertically and using the netherland below the card and background (is there any other term for that area ?) for occasional storage of objects that I may use again on the cd/bg.

Dave Higgins wrote:In page layout apps I think they call that the PasteBoard. While not technically the same in SC, I think the term could be adopted.

There’s an old HyperCard script call peg-board, that would store objects from one project into another. When you happen to need any one of the stored objects, you could call for one from within the active project. At least that’s my understanding of what the script was suppose to do; I never got it running in HyperCard.

If any body’s interested I think the script is back at my parents’ house. I could fetch it when I’m over for thanksgiving, and post it here.
mrBean

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks Mr Beam.
There may be other's who would like to see it as well. It sounds useful.

For my purposes, I'm happy opening other "library" projects and cutting and pasting.
It was just the scrolling behavior of the wd that aggravated me and Now I know how to avoid it.
Dan_Kelleher

Postby mrBean » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:13 pm

I found the script, but it's not exactly how i remembered it. pegboard script creates a catalog of reusable script. I scanned the script from Dr. Dobb's Essential hyperTalk handbook into a word document.

click link to download.
http://www.studiodi.net/pagboard.zip
mrBean

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:13 am

Got It.
Thank you.
Dan_Kelleher

Return to SuperEditing