Creating Buttons, Very Basic

Questions regarding the Developer Edition's SuperEdit? This is the place!

Creating Buttons, Very Basic

Postby Mia » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:37 pm

I’m trying to start a project using SuperEdit. I have a card covered with a grey draw graphic. Over that I have a white draw graphic. I put a round rectangle button in the grey area and don't know how to get rid of the white rectangle drawn around it by the button tool. That same round rect button shows up simply as a straight edged rectangle when I put it in the white area. The bevel button shows up as a rectangle over both areas, as does the rectangle button. Please, what am I missing?
Mia

Re: Creating Buttons, Very Basic

Postby LorenzT » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:40 pm

You have to set the autoBackground property of that button to true.
LorenzT

Postby Mia » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:20 am

The autoBackground of the button is set to true. When I switch it to false I see no change.

Advice please: I don't have good instincts for figuring these things out without a manual and I don't have a whole lot of time to flounder about. Would a bit of professional tutelage be an intelligent way to get started?

Thanks very much.

PS In the superEdit buttons info, autoBackground is indicated as "auto bg." While this did not trip me up, as I had not thought to look it up in the language guide, someone else might not have been able to find help for "auto bg" or "auto background"
Mia

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:45 am

Hi Mia,

Ok, some thoughts beyond just the autoBackground of the button. If the button is over a draw graphic which is filled with pictureData vs. a flat color or themeFill the auto bg won't properly mask it. Apart from using alpha masked graphics for buttons there really is no way to work around this one.

If the button is over a draw graphic that is grouped with other draw graphics the auto bg also won't work (even if the element the button is over in the group is filled with a flat color or themeFill). If this is the case and you ungroup the graphics it should correct the issue.

The button can also not properly mask if the button background extends outside a single draw graphic with flat color or themeFill on any side. So if this is the case, you might try just resizing the draw graphic under the button a little larger to make sure the button (and button bg) is completely within it and that should correct the issue.

HTH
Mike Yenco
YENCO.COM
Mike

Postby Mia » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks so much! I now have two flat background draw graphics -- all I need. The round rect btn looks round and rectangular. However, the bevel button is still a rectangle with no bevel. I don’t need the bevel button, but I'm curious as to why it doesn’t cooperate.
Mia

Postby codegreen » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:04 am

Mia wrote:Thanks so much! I now have two flat background draw graphics -- all I need. The round rect btn looks round and rectangular. However, the bevel button is still a rectangle with no bevel. I don’t need the bevel button, but I'm curious as to why it doesn’t cooperate.

SuperCard doesn't draw bevel buttons, Apple's code does; thus they are rendering exactly as they are 'supposed' to. Their bevel has been shrinking with each iteration of the Aqua interface, until nowadays it's largely vestigial (though to a somewhat lesser extent for the 'rounded' style). Alas you can't argue with City Hall...

-Mark
codegreen

Return to SuperEditing