Embedding AIFF Sound in Standalone

Questions regarding the Developer Edition's SuperEdit? This is the place!

Embedding AIFF Sound in Standalone

Postby JoshRu » Fri May 13, 2011 2:38 am

I have a 3-card project under SC 4.7.1 running Leopard on an Intel MacPro. While it runs under the RTE, I have a short AIFF sound file located at the same level as the project that starts under script control when the project opens. The sound file plays just fine under the RTE using the "play file..." command, or outside of SC in Quicktime.

After browsing through the SLG I decided the best way to imbed this AIFF sound file as a resource for a standalone was to use SuperEdit. When I navigate to the sound file in SE and try to "Import AIFF...", I get two error dialogs...

1) "Unknown chunk type!
SuperEdit doesn't understand the format of at least one chunk (data segment) within this file."

2) "Operating system error -208 reported."

... then SE crashes to the Finder. Am wondering if I found a bug, or am doing something wrong, as this is my first time creating a standalone in 4.7.1.

-- Josh
JoshRu

Re: Embedding AIFF Sound in Standalone

Postby Scott » Fri May 13, 2011 9:35 am

SuperEdit does its best to import any AIFF to a sound resource… but the formats for AIFF files can span a very wide variety of properties and they are not always apparent in the file so sometimes it has to guess, and when it does it can guess wrong.

But it is unnecessary to have to import AIFFs into a project's data for for the purpose of a standalone as you can just include any file in the Resources folder of the Application. See "Special Considerations for Packaged Applications" on page 160 of the user guide for more info.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby JoshRu » Fri May 13, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks Scott, that worked for me and will suffice.

But sometimes there's a very brief dropout in the sound file just after it starts playing at the beginning. Probably drive issue while it reloads, but was wondering if embedding the sound file as a resource through SuperEdit eliminates the load/play/hiccup syndrome. I can live with this whatever the case. Thanks. -- Josh
JoshRu

Postby JoshRu » Sat May 14, 2011 9:06 am

BTW, I just tried embedding a QT sound file for my standalone's resource bundle and it worked, so I'm finding they're not limited to just aiff files. Cool deal. -- Josh
JoshRu

Return to SuperEditing