Converting old fonts to new in ex-HyperCard stacks

Working on making the switch to SuperCard? Many here have done it... ask your questions here.

Converting old fonts to new in ex-HyperCard stacks

Postby tjharper100 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:30 am

Dear Fellow Former HyperCarders,

After twenty years of HyperCard use, I've finally made the leap to SuperCard (for reasons that you all know). I shall attempt to explain my problem as succinctly as possible.

I have always used HyperCard as a research data base. Very basic, no complex scripting; but as my field of research is Japanese history, it does involve mixing the Roman alphabet with Japanese characters. In H-C the fonts I used were New York for the former and Heisei Mincho for the latter. But Mac's System 10.5 includes neither in its arsenal of fonts; and so the newly converted stacks print the former in plain text and the latter as garbage. Even so, it IS possible to convert the plain text to (say) Times and the garbage to one of the several Japanese fonts in the list -- BUT, only on a field by field (and sometimes word by word) basis. VERY time consuming.

Thus my question; Can anyone tell me how I might convert whole stacks to a new font (or in this case, pair of fonts) in one go? For my more experienced colleagues, I suspect, this problem is not a major one; but having just entered the learning curve, I would be extremely grateful for any help you might be able to give me.

Yours, Tom Harper
tjharper100

Re: Converting old fonts to new in ex-HyperCard stacks

Postby Scott » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:18 am

Tom...

Think "repeat loop" to do repetitive tasks.
Code: Select all
on updateMyFonts
lock screen
repeat with c=1 to the number of cards
go card c
-- set the font of the fields you wish to change below (I am assuming these are background fields)
set the textFont of background field <insert field number or "name" here> to "Times"
set the textFont of background field <insert field number or "name" here> to "<name of Japanese font>"
put "updating fonts on card"&&c
end repeat
beep
put "update complete"
unlock screen
end updateMyFonts
Scott
Site Admin

Re: Converting old fonts to new in ex-HyperCard stacks

Postby tjharper100 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:18 am

Many, many thanks for your detailed instructions!! The learning curves still look pretty steep, but at least I now know which one to start climbing. Here's hoping I won't have to come knocking at your door again too often.
Gratefully,
Tom
tjharper100

Return to Upgrading From HyperCard