Textfont, textSize of msg

Working on making the switch to SuperCard? Many here have done it... ask your questions here.

Textfont, textSize of msg

Postby Charles » Sat May 07, 2011 11:34 pm

Greetings Everyone, from Japan.

I'm a long-time Hypercard user and have been able to convert and am using a couple essential stacks. I'll save my more complicated stacks for later conversion once I learn SuperCard a bit better.

I'm using Mac OS 10.6.7 Snow Leopard (the latest Mac OS) on an IntelMac Mini, with Japanese (Kotoeri) text conversion enabled.

The first thing I need to do is debug my Hypertalk scripts by finding the appropriate Supertalk equivalents. I'm using the 'Hypercard Syntax Contents' of Supercard Help. I need to set the textfont of the message box to a Japanese font so I can search my projects in Japanese. That is, I need to customize the text used in the message box (for one thing, making it bigger since my vision is poor). In Hypertalk I use this script:

on openstack
set the textfont of msg to "Osaka"
set the textsize of msg to 24
set the loc of msg to 750,160
end openstack

The problem is I can't find any entry for 'textfont' or 'textsize' in the 'Hypercard Syntax Contents' section of Supercard Help. So I don't know how to customize the textfont/size of the message box.

Also, I can't seem to do an 'inline' Japanese text entry/kanji conversion right in the message box, as I can in Hypercard (v2.4.1 on my G4 Powerbook in OS 10.4.11). (That is, when I hit command+spacebar to switch to Kotoeri/Japanese text entry, the separate kanji conversion window pops up instead of the conversion being performed right in the application itself (in this case, the Supercard message box).

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,
Charles
Charles

Re: Textfont, textSize of msg

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Sun May 08, 2011 11:47 am

Hi Charles,
I can't help you much with the Japanese-character-aspect (vs English) of your problem but my initial thought is that I would not use the built in message box for this.

I would probably use a palette window with a real text field (rather than a draw-text, vector-based text field) on the card level. This would give me complete control over the window; size, location, content.

I'm not sure of the requirements of your project but if it would be helpful you could, for instance, use a scrolling field for additional text-output-input.

Depending on your needs, you might also consider, as an alternative, providing the user with a scrolling list field of pre-constructed choices to be made simply by clicking. This could also be accomplished using a popup-menu or even a "list" to select from composed of a one dimensional stacked array of draw graphics in a palette window or custom-"popUp"-palette window where each draw-graphic had a pictureData image of Japanese text. I have, for example, done this to give users the option to select a color from within a limited set.

Others may have ideas or comments on mechanisms to support unrestricted international text input.
-Dan
Daniel.Kelleher@umassmed.edu
SC4.7.3 OSX 10.7.2 Mac Pro
Dan_Kelleher

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Sun May 08, 2011 11:56 am

See textfont, textsize textstyle in the SuperCard Help project.
-Dan
SuperCard Help Project.jpg
SuperCard Help Project.jpg (63.11 KiB) Viewed 3089 times
Dan_Kelleher

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Sun May 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Regarding the language conversion function, perhaps this would be an opportunity for someone with the ability to create a SuperCard external function(s) (XFcn) to create a very valuable SuperCard resource or set of resources.
-Dan
Dan_Kelleher

Return to Upgrading From HyperCard