Splitting a converted HyperCard Stack

Working on making the switch to SuperCard? Many here have done it... ask your questions here.

Splitting a converted HyperCard Stack

Postby JohnnyAndrews » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:16 pm

I have a stack converted from HyperCard into SuperCard 4.6.3. I have tested it and got everything working just as it should. Except, the stack has two backgrounds in one window, and I can't sort the backgrounds separately. Therefore I would like to split the stack so that the two backgrounds are in different windows.

I created a new window and set it to match the original window. Then I tried copying the cards from one background into the new window to preserve the data in the background and card fields. But this gave me a window with 15 different backgrounds.

Is there a way to get all the data, graphics, etc. from the existing background into one background in the new window? If I can do this then I can try deleting the cards from the old window, and have the old window with just one background and it's more than 5000 cards.
iMac 24" 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo, 4 GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6, SC 4.6.3
JohnnyAndrews
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:29 pm
Location: Carson City, NV

Re: Splitting a converted HyperCard Stack

Postby Scott » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:50 am

SuperEdit is your friend here. It will allow you to create a new window, and to select all of the cards you wish to move as a single list for cutting and pasting into the another window. It will also allow you to reassign cards from one background to another in a similarly efficient manner.
User avatar
Scott
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: Northern Sierra Nevada

Re: Splitting a converted HyperCard Stack

Postby JohnnyAndrews » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:21 am

SuperCard just expanded the size of my project from 19.7 MB to 173.1 MB. Is there anywhere a description of how to use the Custom Properties fields in the object information dialogs? I couldn't find an explanation in the manual or the SuperTalk manual. I don't know if that would have made a difference in the size of the project, but it might. Also, would setting the custom properties (in this case textFont) of a background field automatically extend to that field in all cards already existing? Changing the font on the background field entry on one card does not propagate to the other existing cards of the background. So I scripted a temporary button on the first card of the background to go through all the cards of that background (turns out there are 10,965 cards, with 56 fields on each card), setting the textFont for the fields. I think that is what caused the expansion in the project size.
iMac 24" 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo, 4 GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6, SC 4.6.3
JohnnyAndrews
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:29 pm
Location: Carson City, NV

Re: Splitting a converted HyperCard Stack

Postby bmartin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:57 am

The extra size may be from creating 5000 cards again. Try compact and then save again. It should bring your size back down.

As for fonts including background fields think of the fields properties sticking with a card rather then the background. I know it sounds a little crazy but that's how it works.
Bruce Martin

Mac Os 10.6.3
2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
User avatar
bmartin
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:26 am
Location: Stroudsburg, PA


Return to Upgrading From HyperCard

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron