Setting text line height in fields

Working on making the switch to SuperCard? Many here have done it... ask your questions here.

Setting text line height in fields

Postby elsdonp » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:40 am

This is probably a silly question but I'm new to SuperCard and just converted my first HyperCard stack. I'm having difficulty setting the text line height for text in background fields. The User Guide states that it should be available in the Text Style Dialog. I'm able to switch to background and bring up the dialog for the chosen field but there is only options to change font and text size, NOT line height which is available in a similar dialog in HyperCard.
I would appreciate any help anyone can give to this SuperCard novice.
Thank You.
elsdonp

Re: Setting text line height in fields

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:41 am

I don't think you can set the textHeight in SuperCard. This is a restriction of the RTF text engine that is currently being used. I expect this will change in a future upgrade, as this topic has come up before.
Joe Koomen
>> Random! ...Damn near killed 'em! <<
JoeKoomen2011

Postby Scott » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:49 am

TextHeight was a valid property in the old TextEdit engine and is not supported in the WASTE engine. Look at the "lineSpacing" property as a replacement.

The user guide's mention of SuperEdit's interface item for this property is something that should have been removed but somehow was missed. It has been logged as a bug/documentation error.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby elsdonp » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:18 am

Thanks for the update. Trust me to try and use a feature that doesn't exist as soon as I start the conversion from HyperCard.
However, I can't find any reference to line spacing. Please can someone explain where I can set this for card/background fields.
Thanks
elsdonp

Postby bmartin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:16 am

Do a search in the SuperCard Help found in the Help menu. Help -> SuperCard Help

Then click the search icon and type linespacing or line and it will bring up a list of everything with line in it. For the most part the SuperCard Help is very searchable. normally you can quickly find what your looking for with a few quick searches.
Bruce Martin

Mac Os 10.6.3
2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
bmartin

Postby elsdonp » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:43 am

Thanks for the info. However, this is not a scripting issue. I was really looking for a way to expand the line height of all fields in particular cards where the static text in fields look vertically squashed after conversion from HyperCard. When looking at the original field text in the HyperCard stack, the text is set in the field dialog to 12 point, Times, with 16 point text line height. When displaying the same text in SuperCard all the text has no vertical space between each line, therefore it does not display on the card correctly. I can increase the point size of the text to compensate but this makes the card look crowded.
I hope this explains the problem better. Surely, this is a very standard requirement and hopefully I'm just missing a fundamental setting somewhere.
Thanks for any further advice.
elsdonp

Postby johnjohnston1 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:47 am

elsdonp wrote:Thanks for the info. However, this is not a scripting issue. I was really looking for a way to expand the line height of all fields in particular cards where the static text in fields look vertically squashed after conversion from HyperCard. When looking at the original field text in the HyperCard stack, the text is set in the field dialog to 12 point, Times, with 16 point text line height. When displaying the same text in SuperCard all the text has no vertical space between each line, therefore it does not display on the card correctly. I can increase the point size of the text to compensate but this makes the card look crowded.
I hope this explains the problem better. Surely, this is a very standard requirement and hopefully I'm just missing a fundamental setting somewhere.
Thanks for any further advice.

SuperCard has quite a few nice text formatting features. Unfortunately some of these are not accessible with the RTE editor at the moment.
You can set them by script, by creating your own controls or by using MPI a 3rd party Runtime Editor. The last is the simplest.

To do it by script you need to for example:
Code: Select all
set the allowObjects of fld "fieldName" to true
set the linespacing of  fld "fieldName" to 1.5

The allowObject property of a field gives support for embedded graphics, paragraph level formatting, tabs, text strikethrough and superscript and subscript formatting.

MPI can be downloaded at:
http://modulopi.pagesperso-orange.fr/
and is imo wonderful
johnjohnston1

Postby elsdonp » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:45 am

Thank you for the info, but I was not expecting to need to script such simple settings or need further software to pay for. I'm not having much luck running the trial version of your editor either :(
All I read before I started suggested that there was a close similarity between HyperTalk and SuperCard scripting but either I've got a stacks with complex scripting or the similarities are not as evident as first suggested. There is not one script that I invoke in the first stack that I've converted that does not give numerous errors related to what I would class as quite fundamental commands - e.g. Just trying to go to the first card of a background fails.
I've come to the conclusion that it might be easier to start again, creating what I need as a completely new project.

I was happy with HyperCard. The only reason I'm trying SuperCard is because I would like to move to a new Mac which now do not support OS 9 as they are Intel based.
elsdonp

Postby Anderson » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:05 am

The simple way to format your card field may be to copy text with desired format and paste it into your card field. This format will remain unchanged when you type in the field. New data can be put into that card field from a script container (by copying the card field first - to establish the format, then put the containertextdata into the card field).
Anderson.
iMac - Yosemite - SC(4.73)
Anderson

Postby macdafydd » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:39 am

I was happy with HyperCard. The only reason I'm trying SuperCard is because I would like to move to a new Mac which now do not support OS 9 as they are Intel based.

I share your frustration. Even after more than five years since switching from HC to SC, there is a lot that I miss of the flexibility and ease of use of HyperCard. You have highlighted one of my pet peeves, namely SC's handling of text. Unfortunately, HC is to all intents and purposes no more, so we must now put up with these shortcomings.
Last edited by macdafydd on Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macdafydd

Postby johnjohnston1 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:16 am

elsdonp wrote:Thank you for the info, but I was not expecting to need to script such simple settings or need further software to pay for. I'm not having much luck running the trial version of your editor either :(
All I read before I started suggested that there was a close similarity between HyperTalk and SuperCard scripting but either I've got a stacks with complex scripting or the similarities are not as evident as first suggested. There is not one script that I invoke in the first stack that I've converted that does not give numerous errors related to what I would class as quite fundamental commands - e.g. Just trying to go to the first card of a background fails.
I've come to the conclusion that it might be easier to start again, creating what I need as a completely new project.

Hi,
MPI is not mine. There is a 'Using MPI' forum here that might help.

SuperCard is a wee bit different that HyperCard in that it is more designed to build applications rather than be used. I guess most folk who use it build menus for text etc into their apps.

go cd 1 of bg 2
works here

http://www.supercard.us/HyperCard/index.html
might help as there is a list of differences between HC & SC
johnjohnston1

Postby S. Leys » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:13 pm

elsdonp wrote: I'm not having much luck running the trial version of your editor either

I would be interested to know what is the problem exactly. Did you run the installer ? Did the installation fail ?
Any info is welome.

S.
S. Leys

Postby S. Leys » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:46 am

Stephane Leys wrote:
elsdonp wrote: I'm not having much luck running the trial version of your editor either

I would be interested to know what is the problem exactly. Did you run the installer ? Did the installation fail ?
Any info is welome.

Well, seriously, it would REALLY be useful for me to know which problem you had with MPI. Could you tell me what you did and what happened ?

Thanks

S.
S. Leys

Postby elsdonp » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:27 am

Hi
I've successfully installed MPI now. Once I placed the originally downloaded folder on the desktop and executed the installer there, it worked without error. Each time before, I was getting messages asking if it was ok to convert each MPI module which I didn't think was right. Anyway, I was then able to discover how to use the linespacing within the text menu. Although it did take a bit of trial and error to discover the importance of the 'Allow Objects' check box, to enable the extra options on the menu.

I'm still baffled by my inability to use the font, size, and style options on the same menu though. I've attached the error I get each time. I've selected the background field I want change and the linspacing menu option works on the text in the field just fine. The only way I can change the font etc, is to use the SuperCard Text menu instead.

I had updated a number of cards this way and progressing reasonably well, getting them to look similar to the HyperCard stack, when SuperCard/MPI crashed and of course I had not saved. I've no clue why, but I can't remember HyperCard ever crashing. Oh well, start again !!
Attachments
Picture 3.png
Error when trying to edit text in fields
Picture 3.png (17.39 KiB) Viewed 6400 times
elsdonp

Postby S. Leys » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:33 am

elsdonp wrote:I've successfully installed MPI now.

I've posted a reply to the MPI forum, with many questions. Could you look at it ?

S.
S. Leys

Return to Upgrading From HyperCard