Editorial Advisor

Working on making the switch to SuperCard? Many here have done it... ask your questions here.

Editorial Advisor

Postby castalia » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi,

I am a writer/editor, not a programmer. I have a wonderful Hypercard-based program that came bundled with a Mac SE 30 circa 1990. The program, Editorial Advisor, by Petroglyph, is far and away the best grammar and style reference I've ever seen and has the best examples. I keep an old Macintosh IIci in a closet that I haul out and hook up whenever I have a usage question. I have tried contacting Petroglyph but they seem to have disappeared. Is it possible to run this program using SuperCard without having to know any programming, or is there some other work-around that will work on a Mac using any version of OSX? I would be happy to purchase SuperCard just to run this one program. Please cc any replies to my email address, scott@castaliapub.com, as this is the only question I have for this forum.

Thanks,

Scott Morrison
castalia

Re: Editorial Advisor

Postby Scott » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:38 pm

Welcome Scott,

First of all, I haved move your topic to a more appropriate forum; Upgrading from HyperCard.

If you have no experience with creating anything using HyperCard, you may find it a daunting task to get your HyperCard program to run in SuperCard without errors. SuperCard will convert HyperCard stacks to SuperCard projects; bringing in all the card objects and data. But since the two scripting environments are not identical, there will undoubtedly be some editing you will need to do to the original author's scripts to get them to run without error in SuperCard.

If you are not interested in doing the work yourself you could contact Solutions Etcetera for a quote on the conversion, or perhaps someone in the forums here might be willing to perform the work as well.

There is one other consideration here. And that is, without the written permission of the original copyright holder, you would need to agree (in writing) to assume all liability that might be involved from any violation of the author's copyright/license, which the porting of his/her work to another environment would certainly qualify for.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby castalia » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:56 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the courteous response. Looks like my query ended up in a new area.

As for contacting the original publisher of Editorial Advisor, I have tried the phone number in the front of the manual at least a dozen times since about 1999 hoping for info on upgrades. The number was active, but just rang and rang and rang, year after year. Haven't tried since 2006. Will try again when I locate the manual. I tried the various reverse location options in the search engines and it always came up unlisted, no address, no contact info.

I have no intention of selling or making a profit on this program, I just want to USE it.

Thanks,

Scott
castalia

Postby Anderson » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:00 am

Anderson.
iMac - High Sierra - SC(current beta)
Anderson

Return to Upgrading From HyperCard