Unable to access files to convert

Working on making the switch to SuperCard? Many here have done it... ask your questions here.

Unable to access files to convert

Postby Art » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:35 pm

Hi folks,
I can't get the HyperCard Converter to recognize stacks I want to convert. Here's the situation:
I have several stacks with many scripts written in HyperCard 2.2. They run fine on my original iBook, using Mac OS 9.1.
For awhile I've had an iMac running OS X 10.4.11 but have resisted converting my stacks till now. I just downloaded the SuperCard trial version onto the iMac.
On the iBook, I compacted the stacks and made copies onto the same flash drive that I've routinely been using to transfer files back and forth between the two computers.
However, when I open SuperCard's HyperCard Converter and it asks for a stack to translate, the selection window displays all the HyperCard stacks as grayed-out. This happens whether I try to access the stacks on the flash drive or first copy them to the iMac's hard drive.
I tried moving the Converter program to the iBook, using the same flash drive, but the program won't even open on the iBook.
What else can I do? Anybody have any ideas?
Thank you,
Art
Art

Re: Unable to access files to convert

Postby Scott » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:12 am

Art,

Flash drives are usually formatted FAT16 or 32 and do not support resource forks. You'll need to copy the files another way or encode the files in a method that will preserve the resource forks across a file system that would normally erase them (BinHex - .hqx; Stuffit - .sit; etc.).
Scott
Site Admin

Postby Art » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:01 pm

Thank you. I would never have imagined the flash drive itself as the problem, nor would I have considered my old USB floppy drive as the solution, but that's what worked.
Now I have to see if I can adequately adapt numerous and sometimes complex scripts, including some that automatically mark certain cards and then print a report with only those cards. One reason I waited so long to try SuperCard is the lack of support for these activities, which are a key part of the functionality for my stacks.
Basically, I have a stack with many backgrounds. If I change the information on any card, I want a handler that selects all cards with that same background and then prints certain fields in a report format. It seems like a simple enough concept and I'll go through SuperCard's documentation and try some things on my own, but if you have any advice about where to start I would certainly appreciate it.
Thank you again,
Art
Art

Postby Scott » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:23 am

None of what you mention are show stoppers by any means. Marked cards for instance can be easily worked around by defining a "marked" user property for all of your cards and setting it to true or false. Not as simple as HyperCard's built in mechanism as you'll need a repeat loop to walk the cards to determine which are marked, but infinitely do-able.

The same is pretty much true for reports... from creating a window for printing where you plug in the data based on your report criteria, or simply concatenating report data to a text file (or dumping it to a field for printing).
Scott
Site Admin

Re: Report Printing

Postby nxnw » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:24 am

The same is pretty much true for reports... from creating a window for printing where you plug in the data based on your report criteria, or simply concatenating report data to a text file (or dumping it to a field for printing).

These glib responses are uninformative and unhelpful. If it is so trivial to create a report, why can't you provide a couple of concrete examples in the documentation, rather than claiming that it is so easy?

I have a stack/project where I need to extract 5 fields from each card to a 5 column report. The amount of content in the fields is variable, so (like in a real report generator) the sizes of the report fields, and the height of each record in the report, have to be dynamic. If there is a way to do this in Supercard, I have not been able to identify it.
nxnw

Postby codegreen » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:19 pm

Could you post captures of a couple of sample pages from the report you're trying to recreate?
codegreen

Return to Upgrading From HyperCard