A Special Supercard Tool; SuperEdit

Working on making the switch to SuperCard? Many here have done it... ask your questions here.

A Special Supercard Tool; SuperEdit

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:52 pm

I never really used Hypercard much but I was thinking about how the availability of SuperEdit
to a Hypercard user might offer new ways to think about doing things.

For example, SuperEdit makes it very easy to quickly make many windows
with, say, one card and the same background without being at runtime.
This can be done via copy/Paste of the unit; window/card/background.

These Windows might then be used as "slides" in a PowerPoint- like Presentation
instead of using One window with many cards.

just a thought,

-Dan
Daniel.Kelleher@umassmed.edu
SC4.7.3 OSX 10.7.2 Mac Pro
Dan_Kelleher

Re: A Special Supercard Tool; SuperEdit

Postby Happy2bHere » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:11 am

What would be the advantage of many windows as opposed to many cards? I never really thought about using extra windows in my stacks.

-Matt
Happy2bHere

Postby bmartin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:32 am

For one, your user can view multiple documents/windows at the same time. Most Mac Applications allow multiple windows/documents open at the same time. However, I'm not certain about the advantages of using the "same background" in multiple windows. At anyrate, the point the poster seems to be making is valid. SuperEdit is a very useful tool indeed. IT lets you edit your projects while they are not running, so any idle scripts/background/foreground scripts are not running so yu don't have to worry about script errors while you alter portions or all of your project.
Bruce Martin

Mac Os 10.6.3
2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
bmartin

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:11 pm

Hi Matt,

>What would be the advantage of many windows as opposed to many cards?

As a casual Supercard user who never really used hypercard, I don't usually think in terms of stacks but rather in terms of projects.

1. In a project one can use not only multiple windows simultaneosly, as Bruce described, but also different KINDS of windows
simultaneously (different kinds of stacks ?) within one project; (plain, scrolling, palette and some even more fun!).

2. The data in a window is placed into RAM when the window is opened but is removed from RAM when the window
is closed (unless the name of your 'project' is preview which does not clean up after itself Ha!). But if you have everything in
one window it all stays loaded in RAM. It can be useful to use multiple windows if some windows have a very large amount of data
but only really need to be open for a while.

3. A background is 'owned' by the window it's in and applies to all the cards in that window and if a background of a window
is changed by, say, adding a visible object, then that object will automatically be visible 'on' or 'though' every card in that
window (automatically update). This powerful feature of ONE background for ALL Cards in a window is LOST if one were to use multiple windows with, say, one card in a project to do the same job as project using multiple cards in one window.
If I used the multiple window approach I'd have to place that visible background object on each background of every window.
However ! , what I can do, sometimes, is add that object to just one window and then use SuperEdit to copy/paste that that window,
many times if necessary to easily get multiple windows with an identical background.

4. Of course, any one of the multiple windows used can have multiple cards with the bg of that wd automatically 'updating',
so nothing is lost by using multiple windows.

-Dan
Dan_Kelleher

Postby Scott » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:52 pm

KelleherD wrote:2. The data in a window is placed into RAM when the window is opened but is removed from RAM when the window is closed (unless the name of your 'project' is preview which does not clean up after itself Ha!). But if you have everything in one window it all stays loaded in RAM. It can be useful to use multiple windows if some windows have a very large amount of data but only really need to be open for a while.

3. A background is 'owned' by the window it's in and applies to all the cards in that window and if a background of a window is changed by, say, adding a visible object, then that object will automatically be visible 'on' or 'though' every card in that window (automatically update). This powerful feature of ONE background for ALL Cards in a window is LOST if one were to use multiple windows with, say, one card in a project to do the same job as project using multiple cards in one window.

Hello Dan (and Matt),

Just a couple of clarifications here…

2.) Opening a window does cause it to be loaded into RAM (as well as an offscreen buffer for that window), but not the entire contents of the window. Actually it is the window, the card and background objects currently being displayed (and their custom properties), the buffer (usually enough for the entire monitor for each window, unless you set the windowLimit), and some cached data.

3.) While a background does belong to a window, you can have as many backgrounds in a window as you like, just as in a stack. Cards belong to backgrounds, and background objects persist on all cards belonging to a particular background. Think of a window in a project as a stack in HyperCard terms, it is just that SuperCard allows you to have multiple windows in a single project.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:25 am

Thanks Scott,
I had mistakenly thought, until now that you point out my error, that all of the data from all of the cards/backgrounds of a window was loaded into RAM when that window opens.
Thanks for the help.

I'm Sorry Matt, for my misleading, 'help'.

Ah, my errors; the basis of my spirituality; I am human and connected to us.
Sadly very sadly that was not always the case.
It's great to be back,
Cheers!
-Dan
Dan_Kelleher

SuperEdit - how to access or launch?

Postby racepacket » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:47 pm

Right now, I launch SuperCard. How does one launch SuperEdit?
racepacket

Postby bmartin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:59 am

SuperEdit is another application found in the Developers version of SuperCard. It is in the same folder as the SuperCard application. Simply double click to launch it. However I would recommend you close SuperCard before launching SuperEdit.
Bruce Martin

Mac Os 10.6.3
2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
bmartin

Return to Upgrading From HyperCard