Screen size of cards

Working on making the switch to SuperCard? Many here have done it... ask your questions here.

Screen size of cards

Postby tjharper100 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:18 am

Dear Fellow Converts,

I have about 25 former HyperCard "stacks" which converted beautifully into SuperCard "projects" and required only minor tweaking to restore them to their former splendour and utility. But one small (I hope) problem remains: These stacks were designed to resemble as nearly as possible good old 4 X 6 file cards, and throughout their HyperCard incarnation they showed up on the screen in precisely those dimensions. But once they became SuperCard projects they decided to miniaturize themselves to about 2.75 X 4 -- a bit eye-straining, since the text on them is in 12-point Times and this slim new iMac sits much further back on the desk than its fatter predecessors. Something somewhere within still knows they are supposed to be 4 X 6, because they print out exactly that size. Can anyone suggest how I might get them to show up on screen as they once did? I would be most grateful for any help anyone may be able to offer.

Tom Harper
tjharper100

Re: Screen size of cards

Postby codegreen » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:41 am

tjharper wrote:I have about 25 former HyperCard "stacks" which converted beautifully into SuperCard "projects" and required only minor tweaking to restore them to their former splendour and utility. But one small (I hope) problem remains: These stacks were designed to resemble as nearly as possible good old 4 X 6 file cards, and throughout their HyperCard incarnation they showed up on the screen in precisely those dimensions. But once they became SuperCard projects they decided to miniaturize themselves to about 2.75 X 4 -- a bit eye-straining, since the text on them is in 12-point Times and this slim new iMac sits much further back on the desk than its fatter predecessors. Something somewhere within still knows they are supposed to be 4 X 6, because they print out exactly that size. Can anyone suggest how I might get them to show up on screen as they once did? I would be most grateful for any help anyone may be able to offer.

The effect you're seeing has nothing to do with SuperCard per se. It's due to the difference between the pixel densities of the classic Mac screen (which was roughly 72DPI) and a modern iMac (which is roughly 109 DPI). This makes anything laid out on those old machines look approximately 2/3 the size on a new one.

So basically you can either switch to a lower resolution (which will make EVERYTHING bigger but fuzzier) or you can resize the cards in your SC projects (and the objects on them) so that they appear the same size on the new higher density display of your iMac (which will make only the project contents look bigger).

Obviously the first option is a lot less work, and if you're having trouble seeing everything on that shiny new box now that you're older it might be the best solution (I do know people who work that way). The second option will involve a lot more work, but won't impact anything else.

If you choose the second option, then exactly how much work you're looking at depends on what's in your stacks and how particular you are about the results looking identical. You may be able to write some scripts to walk through the projects and make everything larger if the contents aren't too complex. Also you might be able to offload some of that work to SC itself via the autoResize mechanism (though that will require either manually or programmatically going through and defining anchorData properties in every object and populating them with information about how you want each object to be resized or moved when the owning window is resized).

If you like the sound of option 1 but don't fancy losing all that extra screen real estate in other apps, you might want to consider using a tool like SwitchResX to handle the resolution switching for you automatically. It can switch display settings on a per-application basis, so you could set it to change the screen resolution to something closer to 72 DPI whenever SuperCard (or standalones built from your converted HC stacks) switches to the foreground and back to the default again when they quit or switch out. Or you could set up a hotkey to simplify toggling between those resolutions manually.

HTH,
-Mark
codegreen

Postby tjharper100 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:52 pm

Dear Mark,

Many thanks for your extremely helpful advice. I'll probably start with the first option while I work on the second. In the meantime it feels great just to know where I'm going, for which I'm very grateful to you.

Tom
tjharper100

Postby codegreen » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:39 pm

Hi Tom,

You're welcome!

-Mark
codegreen

Return to Upgrading From HyperCard