Icon Tool

SuperCard 4.5 & 4.6 projects (.zip archives only please).

Icon Tool

Postby Lisa » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:59 pm

I have updated the Icon Tool demo/utility project to address new and revised icon-related features in SuperCard 4.7. Plus there are various interface improvements, and I rewrote the Help file, adding an introduction on button icons to give an overview of what the project covers and a list of the icon-related changes in SC 4.7. I also revised the "how-to" on importing an icon from a .icns file, since that has now been built-in to SC 4.7. Please note that Icon Tool 2.0 requires SuperCard 4.7.

Icon Tool is a demo/utility project that covers the various ways to script the setting of button icons -- whether coming from installed resources, system reference codes, Finder icons or .icns files. Basically I consolidated different tools I use when developing button icons for a project and wrote a help file that is part tutorial and part feature documentation. There are different ways this might be useful to SC-users of all ability levels:

- use as a repository for icon resources and easily copy them to and from other projects
    - learn about different types of icons and how they look on buttons of different styles and sizes
    - read a detailed "how-to" on importing an icon from a .icns file using SC's Resource Manager
    - find the reference code for a system icon
    - familiarize yourself with the getIconData*() XFcns
    - convert cicn icons to the more versatile icns type icons (new in SC 4.7 / Icon Tool 2.0)
    - import a custom file icon
    - lift code or even ready-made widgets to use in other projects
    - compile a list of .icns files on your system (including those in application packages)

Icon-Tool-2.zip
Icon Tool 2.0 for SC 4.7
(2.07 MiB) Downloaded 327 times

I've left up the original Icon Tool (retroactively labeled 1.0) for users of SC 4.6.

IconTool.zip
Icon Tool 1.0 for SC 4.6
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 542 times
Last edited by Lisa on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iMac 24" 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.8, SC 4.7.3
Lisa

Re: Icon Tool

Postby vinnie-bob » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:08 pm

very nice, Lisa. Thanks for sharing.
------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Postby bmartin » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:45 am

I agree. This is a nice tool. However, I noticed that some icons are incorrectly labeled. I'm sure it has to be something Apple did.

Example:
The Voices Folder Icon, fvoc, is an icon for the movies folder.
The Speakable Items Icon, spkl, is an icon with a music note.
Bruce Martin

Mac Os 10.6.3
2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
bmartin

Postby Lisa » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:44 pm

Hi, Bruce. The project isn't really labelling anything. The four-character code in the list field is fed into the Mac OS and the icon you see is what the OS spits out. I think the file that gets referenced is somewhere in one of the packages in /System/Library/CoreServices/... Anyway, you'll see the same "incorrect" icons using SC's built-in Icon Picker.

I've been curious myself as to why so many of the codes show a blank document icon or an icon that looks System 8/9-ish. You'd think if Apple set up this reference system they'd have appropriate icons for all the codes. Dunno.

Lisa
Lisa

Postby bmartin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:32 am

That's what I thought. It does seem odd that Apple has so many inconsistencies with their icons.
Bruce Martin

Mac Os 10.6.3
2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
bmartin

Postby Lisa » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:16 pm

I updated the Icon Tool demo/utility project - see the edited opening post above for details.
Lisa

Return to Sample & Demo Projects