SuperCard 4.8 Beta Release

SuperCard Related Headlines

Re: SuperCard 4.8 Beta Release

Postby drpitcairn » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:59 pm

Scott,
I just tried to install and open this beta version on my Macbook Air which has SC version 4.73 installed. I was able to copy the folders over but on opening the beta, it asks for my name and reg. code and will not recognize either one apparently. Have tried several times.
Any suggestions?

— Richard
drpitcairn

Postby Scott » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:33 pm

Are you trying to use your 4.7.3 reg code (won't work), or the new one that was assigned to you in the welcome email?
Scott
Site Admin

Postby drpitcairn » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:10 pm

I was going by what you first posted:
Installation is the same as with 4.7. Install 4.8; on first launch it will ask you for your name and reg number. Your current 4.7 reg number should be entered here... and there is no need to register again (just click on "Don't Ask Again").

Will try the code in the email. Thanks.
drpitcairn

Postby Scott » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:20 pm

Yes... but the email you received with the the download link said:

The following license code is required for activation (it is case sensitive):

XXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Moreover, the download page reiterated:

Welcome to the SuperCard 4.8 Public Beta!
Please be sure to use the beta registration number assigned to you via our email.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby drpitcairn » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Thanks. Guess I got confused.
I was able to register and open beta.
Then installed ModuloPI. Seemed to go. When I registered MPI SC crashed but then I tried again and it worked this time. Have not had time to try it out, but so far, so good.

R.
drpitcairn

Postby vinnie-bob » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:27 pm

Hmmm… beta testing 4.8 along with MPi (last updated when?)? You can do things to tell whether it is a 4.8 bug causing a problem or outdated MPi, but you are unnecessarily complicating your life as a beta tester using MPi. Just sayin'
------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Postby drpitcairn » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:31 pm

Good point. I have so used to using MPI though. Have used it for years and never learned the tools of SC. Guess time to do it as MPI no longer supported.
drpitcairn

Postby drpitcairn » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:49 pm

More information - ModuloPI does not work properly. Quits and cannot be opened again. Can install but usually crashes SC at least once when doing this. Does not seem compatible.

Regarding SC beta, the scripts are very awkward. All now appear in font Athens Bold Italic, size 14. Difficult to read and certainly not the font they were created in. Scott, hope this can be fixed, not really usable.
drpitcairn

Postby Scott » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:19 am

Text formatting can be anything you like, either on a script by script basis or globally. See the Script menu in the Script Editor window for these options.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby drpitcairn » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:44 am

Scott, if I open the editor to utilities/superscript/prefs what it shows as settings in the "prefs" window for that choice is that the font is Geneva for header, section and footer. And script is courier. So I would think since this is the default setting that this is how the scripts would look in the projects I am presently working. But, no, the script that shows up is this other one I mentioned in the last posting. I see I can change each individual script manually, but would take a very long time to go through each one.
Is the issue that I am accessing projects already made? And for some reason the beta is reading them differently?

Another think unclear to me is that when this Superscript window is open, there is a button for "project" and I was thinking I could select the project I have already made and perhaps somehow set the font in it. However, when I click on that button, it brings up a search window to find the project but my projects are grayed out and cannot be selected. I went into the Help files but of course not a supertalk issue so no help.

Any further guidance?
drpitcairn

Postby Scott » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:09 am

SuperScript has nothing to do with text settings in the Script Editor.

Open a script... see the Script menu near the top right of the window.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby drpitcairn » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:38 am

Thank you. That worked.
I can't remember why I did this, but early on, first obtaining SC, I also bought ModuloPI and that is what I have used for years. So I have to learn my way around SC instead. Is there a tutorial or guide that would help me with this? Like for example, I don't know what "superscript" is, or how to use that window when it comes up.
drpitcairn

Postby Scott » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:00 am

You could try reading the User Guide. (c;
Scott
Site Admin

Postby drpitcairn » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:08 am

Duh! Good suggestion. Guess I was a assuming some of this was new to beta. Will do and thanks for your help.
drpitcairn

Postby Scott » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:25 am

What is new in the beta is described in "Beta 23 Prelim Addendum.pdf". There is also a "SuperCard 4.7 Addendum.pdf" covering new things in 4.7 that weren't described in the User Guide.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:36 am

Seasons Greetings!

Beta 24 has just gone live and is available now at: http://solutionsetcetera.com/supercardbeta.html

Note the above url is for folks that have already registered for a Beta Registration Number. If you are new to the program you can register for a number at: http://supercard.us/supercard-48-beta.html

Since this release includes a number of new additions, we have broken them out in a separate document that is available on the download page above.

Finally, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank all involved for the reports and follow up info you have provided us to help make 4.8 as solid as possible, and offer our best wishes to you for the holidays.

Scott
Site Admin

Postby johnjohnston1 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:01 pm

Hi,
Just had a very quick play with the complete syntax and proxy navigation, very nice indeed, got my colours on too.

Happy holidays indeed.

cheers

john
johnjohnston1

Postby codegreen » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:49 pm

Well that was a total waste of bandwidth... :oops:

If you haven't downloaded b24 yet, don't bother. If you have, just toss it in the trash.

I've sent new b25 builds to Scott which fix the lock screen balancing issue (caused by a simple wee-hours-of-the-morning typo by Yours Truly).

<sigh> It's tough to get good help these days... ;)

-Mark
codegreen

Postby Scott » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:47 am

Again... Seasons Greetings!

Beta 25 has just gone live and is available now at: http://solutionsetcetera.com/supercardbeta.html

Note the above url is for folks that have already registered for a Beta Registration Number. If you are new to the program you can register for a number at: http://supercard.us/supercard-48-beta.html
Scott
Site Admin

Postby HairyHighlandCow » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:50 am

Thanks for the new beta guys, I'm loving the new syntax colouring in the Script Editor.
Hope you have a great Christmas and best wishes for the New Year!
All the best,
Alec
Externals, projects and software made with SC:
www.hairyhighlandcow.net/software/SC-projects.html
HairyHighlandCow

Postby codegreen » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:46 am

I don't know if this made it into the readme, but either way it's probably worth noting that in the new syntax coloring dialog you should be able to drag from within one group's color well to anywhere in another group's widget to duplicate the color.

Due to the Carbon color picker basically being self-contained as an egg this conceptually simple task would in practice otherwise be needlessly gruesome, requiring you to either:

a.) drag from the top color swatch to the grid of saved colors at the bottom in the source group's picker then click on that teensy box from the target's, or

b.) click the little magnifying glass in the target's picker, then the source's swatch or text (the latter being problematic due to antialiasing).

And we couldn't have that... ;)

HTH,
-Mark
codegreen

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:37 pm

Yes, as Alec said, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!
and Thank You all!
as always,
-Dan
Daniel.Kelleher@umassmed.edu
SC4.7.3 OSX 10.7.2 Mac Pro
Dan_Kelleher

SuperCard 4.8b26 Beta Release Posted

Postby Scott » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:14 am

Hey there everybody...

We have just posted b26:

http://solutionsetcetera.com/supercardbeta.html

You'll find a lot new here, including anti-aliased draw graphics, list field improvements (including columnar data), and much more. Please have a look at the 'SuperCard 4.8b26 Preliminary Doc.pdf’ supplied in the SuperCard 4.8b26 folder for more information of all that has been added.

While there is still a bit of polish to be added (especially around the new graphics), we wanted to get this out to you today as b25 expires on Wednesday. Please pound hard on the new stuff and have a great Saint Paddy's Day.

Cheers...

The SuperCard Team
Scott
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan.F » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm

I didn't see it in the release notes, but I was gratified to find that the date functions now work consistently with a much larger range of dates. So birthday calculations no longer run into issues with nonagenarians, etc.

Thanks!

Jonathan
Jonathan.F

Postby 1nperson0z » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:21 pm

REALLY like the antialiased graphics. One issue, I can't seem to get shadows to work. I've tried for example 'set the shadows of wd 1 to true' and 'set the shadow of grc 1 to true' but nothing happens that I can see. Any suggestions?

Ian B
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz i7 8Gb 10.11.3
1nperson0z

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements