Solutions Etcetera Unveils SuperCard 4.7

SuperCard Related Headlines

Solutions Etcetera Unveils SuperCard 4.7

Postby Scott » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:45 am

November 16, 2010 - Solutions Etcetera today announced a major upgrade to SuperCard, their award-winning authoring environment for the Macintosh. The new release adds support for Spotlight, QuickLook and Cover Flow, spelling and grammar checking, long file names, transparent graphics, and much more.

With over 60 new features, 70 language additions, and 14 new externals, SuperCard 4.7 extends and improves nearly every aspect of the software.

"This upgrade grows on you quickly… it's all about the workflow. In addition to all the powerful new features, numerous editing enhancements and the ability to quickly locate projects using Quick Look and Spotlight make managing your work a lot easier" said Scott Simon, Solution Etcetera's director of product development. "Going back to 4.6 feels a little bit like having a trailer in tow."

SuperCard 4.7 is now shipping. Additional information, including upgrade policies and pricing are available now on the SuperCard website (http://www.supercard.us/).

SuperCard is the tool of choice for Mac professionals, educators, and hobbyists alike. Use it to create just about any type of application including games, teaching aids, utilities, personal productivity tools, automation tools, kiosks, and multimedia rich projects. Whether you're using Apple's newest Intel based Macs or the older PowerPC models, SuperCard lets you accomplish more in less time than you ever thought possible. It's the shortest distance between ideas and results!
Scott
Site Admin

Kudos for SuperCard 4.7

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:52 pm

Lots of great new stuff in here guys. I'm just playing with the spell check right now, but lots of other great features. Spotlight accessibility is great for finding that one project with that weird script I did years ago, and using Quick View to see the first window so you can remember what a project does is very convenient. (For most of my own projects I had to set the Quick View card to the second window since I invariably have the first window as an anchor window.)

Lots of stuff to keep me busy playing, and lots more work now that there's things I need to add to all my projects...

Thanks Mark and Scott!
Joe Koomen
>> Random! ...Damn near killed 'em! <<
JoeKoomen2011

Re: Solutions Etcetera Unveils SuperCard 4.7

Postby vinnie-bob » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:03 am

Does Spotlight just index the scripts or also the data?

V
------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Postby Scott » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:10 am

vince wrote:Does Spotlight just index the scripts or also the data?

You have a per project choice of scripts, fields, or both. Also if your project is opened via the Spotlight menu or Find window it will receive a spotlightRequest message with the search string as a parameter. At that point you could hand it off to 'Find' or your own project search mechanism.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby johncollett » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:37 am

From the docs :
• utf8 - New keyword for set and export text commands allows import from and export
to UTF-8 format.
Does this mean I can now use SC for Chinese? JC
johncollett

Postby codegreen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:06 pm

jcollett wrote:Does this mean I can now use SC for Chinese? JC

IIRC you can display it (or at least the subset of glyphs supported by the old WorldScript encodings) given the proper fonts, but I don't think you can edit it in place.

-Mark
codegreen

Postby JimTheParr » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:10 pm

Looks great. Thanks much.

Is there a new "Using SuperEdit"?                               --Jim
JimTheParr

Postby Scott » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:15 pm

JimTParr wrote:Is there a new "Using SuperEdit"?

Not sure I know what you're asking, Jim. All the changes to SuperEdit are documented in the addendum.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby JimTheParr » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:57 pm

supercardus wrote:
JimTParr wrote:Is there a new "Using SuperEdit"?

Not sure I know what you're asking, Jim. All the changes to SuperEdit are documented in the addendum.

That answers my question. The current one is the one I already had plus the Addendum.

Thanks.                              --Jim
JimTheParr

Postby Lisa » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:11 pm

Thanks, Scott & Mark, and congratulations!

Everything looks great, the website, purchase/download/install was very smooth. :-)
iMac 24" 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.8, SC 4.7.3
Lisa

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:55 am

Terrific, as always.
Really useful new features. Thank you.

On Tuesday, here in Worcester, SuperCard was used for a Pharmacology lecture at Salter College.

Amidst a sea of PCs, the big old Titanium Powerbook, displaying it's Apple Logo proudly, had fun un-plugging the PC and taking over.

At the end of this initial lecture the young students clapped then one asked, "That wasn't powerpoint was it ?".

I said, "No, That was SuperCard!"

I had fun, thanks SuperCard.

I think they had noticed the use of several scrolling windows and a full screen index of images of the "slides" used for alternative navigation. The scrolling windows were very useful for discussing the complete list of FDA-licensed Vaccines and for looking at the more relavant sections of a Vaccine "Insert", the scrunched-up little paper inside every prescription drug with it's extensive fine print.

-Dan
Daniel.Kelleher@umassmed.edu
SC4.7.3 OSX 10.7.2 Mac Pro
Dan_Kelleher

Postby Anderson » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:09 pm

Once installed will Supercard 4.7 be transportable to new machine if I upgrade my system?
Anderson.
iMac - High Sierra - SC(current beta)
Anderson

Postby Scott » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:57 am

Rob Anderson wrote:Once installed will Supercard 4.7 be transportable to new machine if I upgrade my system?

Yes, but recommend burning the disk image file to a CD for safe keeping. Our single biggest support inquiry is from folks forgetting to copy the SuperCard folder that goes in /Library/Application Support/ when they move it to a new Mac.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby drpitcairn » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:28 am

I purchased the upgrade this AM but cannot download it. Starts but at about 50% download, it starts over. Have tried 5 times. Is this a temporary problem? I have not had this happen before with other downloads.

Richard
drpitcairn

Postby drpitcairn » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:30 am

I also have a question about having a backup on a CD (assuming I every get it downloaded). Would it work as well to just download the DMG once I get it? Or should install and somehow copy the program to a CD at that point?

Thanks,
Richard
drpitcairn

Postby Scott » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:08 pm

If you open the dmg file in Disk Utility it is a simple matter to burn the image as a CD.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby drpitcairn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:08 am

For some reason what I posted here was not retained. Trying again.
I installed 4.7 and it opened fine. Then added MPI and now it will not work properly. I have installed MPI 5 times and the MPI windows do not open. Not your issue I realize, but letting you know that not working for me.
drpitcairn

Postby Scott » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:23 pm

rpitcairn wrote:For some reason what I posted here was not retained. Trying again.

It was deleted because you cross posted the same questions to the MPI forum (which is where I would have moved it had there not already been a similar post there).
Scott
Site Admin

Postby drpitcairn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:02 pm

Oh. I was not sure who would be able to respond — you or S. Sort of a gray area.
In any case, I was able to get back to defaults by deleting the plist.

Thanks,
Richard
drpitcairn

Postby drpitcairn » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:28 am

Update working well. Now that I have the editor issue fixed all is great. I am still slowly learning the new features. Thanks for doing it and continuing to support this software. I use it for many things. Just this week, made a project to strip html tags from text. Was easy to do, since just one wd and one cd. Very satisfying to have a tool like this.
drpitcairn

Return to Announcements