Sound in El Capitan

Check here for answers to frequently asked questions.

Sound in El Capitan

Postby jeanguydaoust » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:38 pm

Since I installed El Capitan, each time I run a supercard project, either on my portable (a MacBook Pro) or my iMac, all the alert sounds go away. Not only in SuperCard, but at large. I have to reboot and go back to System Preferences to get them back.

Someone else has had this problem?

Very annoying.

Jean-Guy Daoust
jeanguydaoust

Re: Sound in El Capitan

Postby Scott » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:56 am

I'm not seeing this here. Does this happen when launching just SuperCard, or only when opening one of your projects?
Scott
Site Admin

Postby jeanguydaoust » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:54 am

Good question! I'm not sure, yet. I'll do tests and come back with an answer.

Jean-Guy
jeanguydaoust

Postby AndrewK » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:48 pm

Any solution found to this problem yet?
I have just bought a new iMac, migrated projects from a much older MacPro which was running Snow Leopard, and I'm stuck with El Capitan and no reliable sound in my projects. I'm using the "PlayInstrument" handler for various script actions. I haven't noticed the complete loss of alerts outside of SuperCard reported by jeanguydaoust.
Is it possible that QuickTime is the problem?
AndrewK

Postby Scott » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:03 pm

AndrewK wrote:Is it possible that QuickTime is the problem?

Most likely as it uses the General MIDI Synthesizer built into QuickTime (which may or may not have been ripped out of the El Capitan version). Have you tried installing the QT 7 Player?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201288
Scott
Site Admin

Postby AndrewK » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:28 pm

Thanks, Scott.
I took some time out to download and install QuickTime Player 7, but even with QT7 up and running, there's still no sound.
I should add that when I first opened my project in El Capitan in early January there were a few random occasions when the Play Instrument command worked, but after three or four separate runs this became less and less reliable until the present situation where nothing seems to occur. Not even an error message.
Is there a way of tracking this problem from within a SC script? Perhaps there's a handler I can use to reset some parameter or other?
AndrewK

Postby Scott » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:46 pm

Perhaps have a look in the console while calling play instrument. I am not seeing this issue here using the syntax examples in the language guide.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby AndrewK » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:07 pm

I tried every suggestion to no avail. Nothing in console seemed to shed any light on the problem so I grimly put up with the lack of sound.
Then a week ago, equally mysteriously, it all worked!
It's possible that an OS update (to 10.11.4) is the reason it works now, and maybe the initial OS installation had a glitch.
Sorry I can't be more help to others, but I can't otherwise explain this fix. Just very glad it happened.
Thank you for your support.
AndrewK

Return to SuperCard FAQ