Supercard on Lion?

Check here for answers to frequently asked questions.

Supercard on Lion?

Postby drpitcairn » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:39 am

Any thoughts or news on Supercard compatibility with Lion (OS 10.7)?
drpitcairn

Re: Supercard on Lion?

Postby sctell » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:31 am

Hi,

Will Lion have Carbon & Quickdraw?
sctell

Postby drpitcairn » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:41 am

Don't know that offhand but I have read some posts that indicate that Apple is dropping the PowerPC apps from this next version and that only those running intel binary will work. Just wondering about SC. I assume it is already intel binary, right?
drpitcairn

Postby Bytehoven » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:47 pm

According to Christopher Breen at Macworld on June 20, 2011, in his article, "Lion Compatibility, Native or Not?" http://www.macworld.com/article/160626/2011/06/native_not.html#lsrc=twt_BodyofBreen you can tell if an app will be compatible by running System Profiler and selecting "Applications" on the left. After your application list displays (it can take some time), click on the heading "Kind" to sort by kind. The ones that say "Classic" or "PowerPC" will not run. Anything that requires Rosetta will not run, either.

From the above, I deduce that Supercard will run (although I'm still using 4.6.3).

To double check, I asked someone who should know. And he said: "I'm pretty sure it's compatible with Lion. I'll find out soon and let you know though!"

For me, the sad news is that Lion will not support the Expert Mouse trackball I've been using for more than a decade: a four button (with "chording") billiard-ball-sized trackball, with scroll wheel. I'm pretty sure that's why I've never had carpal tunnel syndrome.

Hope this helps,

Chris
http://YAV.com
Bytehoven

Postby drpitcairn » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:38 am

Yes, does help. Will wait and see. I probably wont move to LIon for now as I have a similar issue - a software, a big one, that I use in my medical practice that will not run in Lion. So stuck for now.
drpitcairn

Postby terrypun » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:56 am

Big problems with my older programs using Lion and the upgraded 4.7.2

I am getting exit to finder errors - problem -61...

my supercard pouch gets funky --- it doesn't stay put... after the error above the old pouch returns.

I can not open any of my files that all have ---.sc45 extensions by double clicking them... And after I open it from supercard my functions don't work right when I end the file .... get that exit to finder error.

Does anyone know how to use SC 4.7.2 well with old .sc45 files ? --- or any other quick tips on this new version using older files.
terrypun

Postby macdafydd » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:51 am

I use SuperCard 4.6.3 and it fails under Lion. It is impossible to request Edit>Card Info… or Edit>Background Info…, for example (SC crashes). Using a stack seems to be fine, but editing is another matter.
macdafydd

Postby Scott » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:19 am

terrypun wrote:Big problems with my older programs using Lion and the upgraded 4.7.2

I am getting exit to finder errors - problem -61...

my supercard pouch gets funky --- it doesn't stay put... after the error above the old pouch returns.

I can not open any of my files that all have ---.sc45 extensions by double clicking them... And after I open it from supercard my functions don't work right when I end the file .... get that exit to finder error.

Does anyone know how to use SC 4.7.2 well with old .sc45 files ? --- or any other quick tips on this new version using older files.

.sc45 files are the current project file. -61 is a permissions error. Check to make sure your pouch's permission are read/write all.

Also check that Launch Services is not trying to launch on older copy of SuperCard that may be on your drive.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:21 am

macdafydd wrote:I use SuperCard 4.6.3 and it fails under Lion.

Yes, 4.6.3 (and all versions previous to 4.7.2) will not be compatible with Lion.
Scott
Site Admin

Return to SuperCard FAQ