SuperCard Apps in App store?

Check here for answers to frequently asked questions.

SuperCard Apps in App store?

Postby vinnie-bob » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:35 am

I just assumed that this wasn't possible due to some of the things I heard or saw online regarding the App store requirements. Plus Apple is seeming to push everyone/thing towards Xcode use. However, I just saw today that there is an Automator Action pack for sale in the Apple App store. It seems that this use would require that the actions be installed from an installer for the actions to work in Automator and would have to be *manually* updated when a bug fix or something comes along. I thought this kind of thing was verboten for App store apps, but having not read the actual App store rules for Apps, I could be wrong.

So has anyone looked into this more carefully?
------
vince
------
vinnie-bob

Re: SuperCard Apps in App store?

Postby Didier Gross » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:28 am

I'll second Vince.

Interesting question.

I guess Scott can enlighten us.

The rules are here, but you have to subscribe to the Apple Developer Program ($99 a year).
Didier Gross

Re: SuperCard Apps in App store?

Postby witness » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:28 am

vinnie-bob wrote:However, I just saw today that there is an Automator Action pack for sale in the Apple App store. It seems that this use would require that the actions be installed from an installer for the actions to work in Automator and would have to be *manually* updated when a bug fix or something comes along. I thought this kind of thing was verboten for App store apps, but having not read the actual App store rules for Apps, I could be wrong.

No, Automator Actions can be attached to an Application. The ".app" folder (bundle, package, whatever you want to call it) can contain a subfolder containing automator actions that the system will pick up automatically when the application is installed. The same works for QuickLook plugins and Spotlight importers.

I don't know anything about SuperCard's internals to judge whether it could make it into the MAS. There are several Carbon applications in the Mac App Store, so that's definitely not a problem. But I believe there are still the "anti-app-store-circumvention" rules that effectively prevent any reasonably full-featured programming language from making it into the app store.

That applies only to the IDE, though. I think you may be able to use SuperCard to create an application that you then submit. But really, someone would have to try to find out if there are any issues in SuperCard itself that prevent this.
Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The Witnesses of TeachText are Everywhere..."
http://www.zathras.de
witness

Return to SuperCard FAQ