Yosemite ans SC

Check here for answers to frequently asked questions.

Yosemite ans SC

Postby jeanguydaoust » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:05 pm

I juste installed Yosemite on my MacBook Pro. To my surprise, SuperCard in now _much_ slower! For instance, I have a genealogy project, at the opening of which a script extracts from the main text the tree of all the families, in an outline format, and puts it in a field. Under 10.9, that took between 15 and 20 seconds. Now, under Yosemite, it takes more than 3 minutes!!!! What is going on? Does it have something to do with the fact that me MacBook has a Retina screen, and that SC does not yet support the Retina screen?

Jean-Guy Daoust
jeanguy.daoust@sympatico.ca
jeanguydaoust

Re: Yosemite ans SC

Postby Scott » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:36 pm

While I do not have like speed machines here running different OS versions, benchmarks of internal operations don't show this kind of disparity between Yosemite and previous versions. Are you doing a lot of operations that would cause the screen to redraw without locking the screen?
Scott
Site Admin

Postby jeanguydaoust » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:27 pm

Thank you for your answer. It seems the slowdown has to do with screen redraw.

In itself, the script does only text manipulations on variables — then a second handler displays the result and does some minimum formatting of the text. But the first handler also displays a progression bar. This is what slows it: I timed the two handlers: with the progression bar, the first handler takes 3.16 minutes to do its job, while the second takes 0.009 minutes; without the progression bar, the first handler takes only 0.0025 minutes to do its task. Manifestly, the slowdown is related to screen redraw. Could it be in relation to the fact that my MacBook screen is Retina, that is high resolution? I could test that hypothesis on my old iMac if I dared to install Yosemite on it. But if the slowdown of screen redraw has nothing to do with Retina but all to do with Yosemite, I can't imagine what the slowdown would be on my old iMac…

Jean-Guy Daoust
jeanguydaoust

Postby jeanguydaoust » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:00 pm

The problem seems related both to Retina screen and Yosemite.

When I debug a script, with each Step, the screen flickers: I suppose it is redrawn with each step in debug. This did not happen under 10.9. Same thing with some list fields in another project, when I click (or cmd-click) on a line. Again this never happened under 10.9.

Jean-Guy Daoust
jeanguydaoust

Postby Scott » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:08 am

Which MacBook are you using?
Scott
Site Admin

Postby jeanguydaoust » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:18 am

System info says:

MacBook Pro (Retina 15 inchangé Early 2013)
MacBook Pro 10.1
Intel core i7
2.7 GHz

Jean-Guy Daoust
jeanguydaoust

Postby Scott » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:04 am

Do you have automatic graphics switching on? Which graphics subsystem are you using, and have you tried it with the "other" one?
Scott
Site Admin

Postby jeanguydaoust » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:45 pm

Yes, Automatic graphics switching is On. I tried switching it to Off: it did not change anything.

There are two graphic cards in the machine (I suppose that is what you mean by "graphics subsystem"): Intel HD Graphics 4000, and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.

But I do not know how I could manually switch form one to the other.
jeanguydaoust

Postby Scott » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:48 pm

jeanguydaoust wrote:Yes, Automatic graphics switching is On. I tried switching it to Off: it did not change anything.

There are two graphic cards in the machine (I suppose that is what you mean by "graphics subsystem"): Intel HD Graphics 4000, and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.

But I do not know how I could manually switch form one to the other.

To see which one SuperCard is using, open Activity Monitor, go to the Energy tab, and look to see if there is a YES in the "Requires High Perf GPU" column.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby jeanguydaoust » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:45 pm

It says "No".
jeanguydaoust

Return to SuperCard FAQ