El Capitan Printing Problem

Check here for answers to frequently asked questions.

El Capitan Printing Problem

Postby lewisroland » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:10 am

Just installed El Capitan but cannot print old projects on my HP Laser Jet P1006.
Anyone know if this is an incompatability problem?
All comments much appreciated.
lewisroland

Re: El Capitan Printing Problem

Postby Scott » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:40 am

I have not seen any issues with El Capitan, but then I don't use HP printers. Exactly what are you experiencing?
Scott
Site Admin

Postby lewisroland » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:40 pm

Type faces appear as rectangles and some horizontal lines do not appear in the print out. A dialogue box saying 'An error of -9705 occured while printing' shows before printing.
I have tried replacing the type faces with different ones and these do print, so I assume it is an type incompatability issue. This still doesen't account for the failure to print some horizontal lines. I am using the latest Supercard updates.
Everything worked fine with Yosemite so this is puzzling.
lewisroland

Postby codegreen » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:31 am

Apparently El Capitan broke the drivers for a boatload of HP printers and scanners (Google it) and as of this writing I don't think they've announced what the problem is or when replacements will be available.

BTW all grizzled Mac veterans who've owned or supported them will attest that it's not unusual for HP's drivers to display exactly this sort of behavior after a major OS update. Probably some dubious shim layer they've devised to reuse their driver code across platforms relies on private APIs that periodically change or disappear...

FWIW a -9705 is kPMGeneralCGError, which indicates that somewhere down in the bowels of the printing system Core Graphics returned an error (no details provided to client apps, but check your console log).

This is not something application-level code can fix.

-Mark
codegreen

Postby lewisroland » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:50 am

For the record, I have redone 2 previous small projects using the latest SC update and these print perfectly.
Wouldn't want to have to do this on the bigger jobs though!
lewisroland

Return to SuperCard FAQ