Entering Registration Number on First Launch Does Nothing

Check here for answers to frequently asked questions.

Entering Registration Number on First Launch Does Nothing

Postby Scott » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:00 pm

This issue is most likely do to one of SuperCard's folders having been copied to the wrong folder.

SuperCard requires two folders to be installed; one contains the application, and the other the Runtime Editor, help system, and other support files.

1.) The SuperCard folder containing the SuperCard application should be placed in "/Applications" (the Applications folder on your startup drive).

2.) The folder containing the "SC Pouch" MUST be copied to "/Library/Application Support" (this is in the "Libray" folder at the root level of your drive and not the one in your home/user folder).

The disk image window in the current version of SuperCard contains symbolic links to the correct folders at the right of the arrow symbols next to each of the SuperCard folders. In icon view, dragging the folders on the left to the folders on the right will ensure the files are copied to the correct locations.
Scott
Site Admin

Re: Entering Registration Number on First Launch Does Nothing

Postby jasonbbrown » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:46 pm

supercardus:

Thank you! That was it. Is there a "How to install the application" type document that contains this information? I checked only a few documents but could not find those specific instructions for installing the application. I am a little new to application file placement in Mac OS X. I originally placed the application folder in my user's root folder thinking there wouldn't be a problem. Obviously, I was wrong.

Thanks again.

Jason
jasonbbrown

Postby Scott » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:52 pm

We were thinking folks would simply use the aliases provided in the disk image window (which are actually symbolic links) to drag and drop the two folders that needed to be copied. I can say you are not the first one to get this wrong so we definitely need to re-investigate the wording used in that window.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby DALSOP » Tue May 11, 2010 9:43 am

Did everything suggested - main folder to Applications, subfolder to Library/Applications, and even did a restart.
Still nothing (go thru entire name & registration - register button turns blue, i click on it && nada).

Please - any suggestions to go forward and get it working would be greatly appreciated

DAlsop
DALSOP

Postby Scott » Tue May 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Are you sure you have copied the "SuperCard 4.6.3" folder to the /Library/Application Support/ folder at the root level of your startup drive. The simplest way to ensure it is copied to the correct folder is to drag the folder on the left and drop it on the alias on the right…

Screen shot 2010-05-11 at 2.25.48 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-05-11 at 2.25.48 PM.png (45.31 KiB) Viewed 3411 times

If it is indeed in the correct location what is most likely causing the problem is a permissions issue. At this point you should "Get Info" on the SuperCard 4.6.3 folder in "/Library/Application Support/" and check the permissions. They should be set to read/write at all levels. If not, change the settings manually.

Regardless of whether you needed to change the settings, you should click the button or (popup in Leopard) to apply to all enclosed items. You may also wish to use Apple's Disk Utility to repair permissions on your drive.

Screen shot 2010-05-11 at 2.33.25 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-05-11 at 2.33.25 PM.png (37.51 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
Scott
Site Admin

Return to SuperCard FAQ