upgrade not working

Here's where to discuss using Stéphane Leys' very well done alternative runtime editor. If you're a control freak at runtime you have to check this out!

upgrade not working

Postby drpitcairn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:23 am

Yesterday I installed the update for SC, opened it, and it looked fine. Then installed MPI (downloaded most recent) and that went well. However, today I open it up and weird. The menu at top of screen screwed up and I have lost all icon graphics. I don't know how to fix it.
Here are some pictures.
bg menu2.png
lack of icon graphics
bg menu2.png (39.12 KiB) Viewed 4618 times

bg icons.png
bg icons.png (35 KiB) Viewed 4618 times
drpitcairn

Re: upgrade not working

Postby S. Leys » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:33 am

rpitcairn wrote:Yesterday I installed the update for SC, opened it, and it looked fine. Then installed MPI (downloaded most recent) and that went well. However, today I open it up and weird. The menu at top of screen screwed up and I have lost all icon graphics. I don't know how to fix it.

It looks like you have both the menus of the RTE and your own menus. MPI isn't using the menu bar at all and thus has nothing to do with this.
For the icons, I don't know why you don't get them but I don't think that MPI is involved in this either. Where are the resources of these icons ? Which fork ?
Try to launch without MP (or close it)I to see if there is any difference.
You could also try closing the RTE .
IMHO, you should try :
- your project alone, no editor
- your project with MPI alone
- your project with MPI RTE
- your project with both editors

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:39 am

I learned a little more. Found that MIP was not installed today, even though I did it yesterday. So installed it three more times. Each time, it would open, want to be registered (which I did), and the project would look normal, menus as expected, icons there. Then close SC, open again, back to the strange look and no MPI installed apparently. So installed three times more, same issue.

Then saw your message, opened it, selected that the SC editor would not open on startup, but no MPI windows came up even though the menu back to what it used to be (my menus). Now I can't see how to access the SC editor settings any more. How do I bring up the SC menu again?
drpitcairn

Postby drpitcairn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:46 am

Here is how I create the icon pictures, using MPI.
icons2.gif
icons2.gif (35.2 KiB) Viewed 4600 times
drpitcairn

Postby S. Leys » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:49 am

rpitcairn wrote:Here is how I create the icon pictures, using MPI.

So, MPI is working since you have the icon picker.
Your icons are in the resource fork. IMHO, it would be better to put them into the data fork.
Try doing "open resources" on openproject.

S.
S. Leys

Postby S. Leys » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:59 am

rpitcairn wrote:I learned a little more. Found that MIP was not installed today, even though I did it yesterday. So installed it three more times. Each time, it would open, want to be registered (which I did), and the project would look normal, menus as expected, icons there. Then close SC, open again, back to the strange look and no MPI installed apparently. So installed three times more, same issue.

Then saw your message, opened it, selected that the SC editor would not open on startup, but no MPI windows came up even though the menu back to what it used to be (my menus). Now I can't see how to access the SC editor settings any more. How do I bring up the SC menu again?

I've no idea of what is going on. Try verifying the permissions of the SC Pouch , the folders it contains, and the folders where it is.
After you running the installer, MPI opens ? Yes ?.
To open the RTE, type "ed" in the message box. If MPI is open, you can open the RTE from the "utilities" menu.

MPI will ask for your registration code when installing a new version only if the previous version is not open when running the installer.
It will open automatically when you launch SC only if you chose it as the default editor in MPI preferences.

You should also try verifying the permissions of your disk.

Anybody else using MPI is seeing this problem ?

S.
S. Leys

Postby S. Leys » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 am

Thinking again about it, here is mys scenario :

In 4.6, you had set MPI as the default editor.
Since MPI is doing open resources, you were seeing your icons which are in the resource fork.
Unless you opened the RTE, you were seeing only the menus of your project.
Then you installed 4.7. This reset the RTE as the default editor.
The RTE doesn't open resources thus you can't see your icons but it has menus and you see them.
Since MPI is not the default editor, it doesn't open when launching SC which makes you think that it wasn't installed when it actually was.
This scenario explains all the symptoms you're describing.

So, the solution is to open MPI from the SC Pouch, open MPI preferences from the file menu and choose MPI as the default editor, then close the RTE or choose its palette option.
You should also do open resources on openproject in case you run your project without MPI or copy the icons from the resource fork to the data fork using the resource module.

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:12 pm

I think I understand.
I need to let you know that the picture I put up for the icon picker was from opening 4.6, not 4.7. But I will try what you suggest and see if I can get stability.
I had already run "repair permissions" before all this. To make things more complicated (sorry) I also yesterday upgraded to OS 10.6.5. So did a permission repair after doing that.
I did not know about the icons being in the wrong fork. Thanks for pointing that out.
drpitcairn

Postby drpitcairn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:17 pm

That worked. I opened MPI as you suggested, made it default, changed RTE to palette and now all looks fine.
Thanks so much for your help.

R.
drpitcairn

Postby S. Leys » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:36 pm

rpitcairn wrote:I did not know about the icons being in the wrong fork.

The resource fork is not wrong, some icon styles will even work only if they are in this fork. You just have to remember to open resources for using them which you don't have to do if they are in the data fork. And it is easy to forget since MPI is doing it for you.

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:34 pm

Do you mean that I have to put in a script to open resources when the project opens?
How can I know ahead of time that some icon styles will not work except in resources? Is it a particular file type?
drpitcairn

Postby drpitcairn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:20 pm

OK, tonight I went into the project, opened the module for resources. Dragged from the resources side to the data fork side, then deleted the files (ones transferred) from the resources side. Closed and reopened and all icon styles gone.

So...dragged from the data fork side to the resources side (trying to correct it). Closed and reopened and still no icon styles.

So...went back to a copy of the file.

So what did I do wrong? All that I dragged over were pict files. Why not work?
drpitcairn

Postby S. Leys » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:00 am

rpitcairn wrote:So what did I do wrong? All that I dragged over were pict files. Why not work?

In the Icon picker, there is a button "info about icons". It will open the MPI help file in the help app where you'll find a table showing which icon types must be in which fork for which button styles.
The IP shows only the icons that will work depending of the selected button.

S.
S. Leys

Return to Using MPI