Are other color palettes possible?

Here's where to discuss using Stéphane Leys' very well done alternative runtime editor. If you're a control freak at runtime you have to check this out!

Are other color palettes possible?

Postby drpitcairn » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:10 pm

I am not sure I know how to ask this, but it has to do with choosing a color for a button or graphic or field. I am referring to Fillfor and Fillback palettes. There are some limitations for what I want to do, especially with lighter shades. Is it possible to bring in another color palette to work with? I have no idea how that would be done or where to get it, but thought I would ask.
drpitcairn

Re: Are other color palettes possible?

Postby LorenzT » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:25 am

You could change the clut (color lookup table) of your project to use another set of 256 colors. But I think it is much easier to create a graphic in another app and import a png grc into your project. I wouldn't use color for editable text fields as they become white when you edit text. For other fields that can't be edited you could use colored background graphics.
I only saw now that this is a question regarding MPI. Therefore of course you can use the various special color palettes that come with MPI. With those modules you can use millions of colors for fills but no patterns though.
LorenzT

Postby drpitcairn » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:48 am

I have used a graphic color created in another app and put it as card bg, but have not figured out how to do that for a text field. Maybe Stephane will have a suggestion. Also can't see how to change clut in MPI but will keep looking.
drpitcairn

Postby S. Leys » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:09 am

drpitcairn wrote: Also can't see

Please, open your eyes !
how to change clut in MPI but will keep looking.

In the PI, when no object is selected with the pointer tool, you see the properties of the card. Among them, a popup button named "CLUT". Ditto for the bg.

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:12 am

Thanks Stephane. Eyes now open. I didn't until this exchange quite know what CLUT was.
drpitcairn

Postby drpitcairn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:48 am

I have experimented with the various CLUTS but not finding the color I want. Is it possible to add in other CLUTS?
drpitcairn

Postby johnjohnston1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:35 am

Hi,
You might find MPI's HSV module useful. Can set graphic to any colour you like.

cheers

John
johnjohnston1

Postby codegreen » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:24 am

drpitcairn wrote:I have experimented with the various CLUTS but not finding the color I want. Is it possible to add in other CLUTS?

SuperEdit has a handy CLUT editor (in the project's resource tab) that lets you create CLUTs with any colors you like, which you can then copy and paste into any other project.

IIRC there's a minor bug though where the CLUT sometimes won't be saved automagically (i.e., by just closing the project to which you've added the CLUT and clicking Save in the dialog) -- you need to explicitly save the host project.

HTH,
-Mark
codegreen

Postby drpitcairn » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:41 am

MPI HSV did not help as I was trying to change the color of some buttons, but I went into SuperEdit and was able to modify the color I was working with, put the resource into the project and change the color. Thanks for that advice. Never would have found it.
drpitcairn

Return to Using MPI