Setting text line height in fields

Here's where to discuss using Stéphane Leys' very well done alternative runtime editor. If you're a control freak at runtime you have to check this out!

Setting text line height in fields

Postby S. Leys » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:33 am

elsdonp wrote:I've successfully installed MPI now. Once I placed the originally downloaded folder on the desktop and executed the installer there, it worked without error. Each time before, I was getting messages asking if it was ok to convert each MPI module which I didn't think was right.

Convert ? convert to what ? Which version of SC are you using ? Did the downloaded folder had a long path name before you moved it to the desktop ? Did the folder where it was had read/write permissions ? Are you sure that you were opening the installer with SC and not with the player ? I've no idea of what could cause this, so, I'm asking everything coming to my mind.

Anyway, I was then able to discover how to use the linespacing within the text menu. Although it did take a bit of trial and error to discover the importance of the 'Allow Objects' check box, to enable the extra options on the menu.

You're progressing ;-)

I'm still baffled by my inability to use the font, size, and style options on the same menu though. I've attached the error I get each time. I've selected the background field I want change and the linspacing menu option works on the text in the field just fine. The only way I can change the font etc, is to use the SuperCard Text menu instead.

I've made many tests, changing the font, size .. with text selected with the browse tool, with the field selected with the pointer tool, with the editbg true or false, with one or two bgs, with the RTE open or not, everything worked as expected. I didn't succeed to reproduce this problem. I've been using these menus since long and never had a problem with them. I never had a bug report about them (I had other bug reports but not about these menus) .
So, I'm wondering if the error doesn't come from your scripts.
Something you could do is to put "trace on" into your openproject handler. Then, when you'll have an error, if the error is in your project, you'll have the trace button in the dialog.
You can also set these properties using the contextclick popup menu. Right click a field with or without text selected (if some text selected , it will change this chunk, the whole field otherwise). Could you try this and tell me if you also have the same error ?
Would you have a sample project reproducing this problem to send me ?
BTW, when the editbg is true and you change the font, size, style or color of a bg fld (either the selected one from the main menu or the clicked one with contextclick and field closed), MPI will change the property in all the cards of this bg. Which may take a while if there are many cards but less time than doing all the cards one by one.

I had updated a number of cards this way and progressing reasonably well, getting them to look similar to the HyperCard stack, when SuperCard/MPI crashed and of course I had not saved. I've no clue why, but I can't remember HyperCard ever crashing. Oh well, start again !!

Did you send the crash log to the bug report form ? ("report a bug" in the help menu)

S.
S. Leys

Re: Setting text line height in fields

Postby S. Leys » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:54 am

Stephane Leys wrote:
elsdonp wrote:I'm still baffled by my inability to use the font, size, and style options on the same menu though. I've attached the error I get each time. I've selected the background field I want change and the linspacing menu option works on the text in the field just fine. The only way I can change the font etc, is to use the SuperCard Text menu instead.

I've made many tests, changing the font, size ..

Well, I'm still unable to reproduce it.
when you're trying to set the font, size or style, are you doing it :
- with text selected in the field or with the field selected with the pointer tool ?
- with the editbg true or false ?
When does the error dialog comes up
- when clicking the menu ?
- when the submenu is opened ?
- when releasing the mouse after selecting in the submenu ?

I REALLY need some clue.

Somebody else using MPI has seen this problem ?

S.
S. Leys

Return to Using MPI