How can invisible windows be used?

Here's where to discuss using Stéphane Leys' very well done alternative runtime editor. If you're a control freak at runtime you have to check this out!

How can invisible windows be used?

Postby drpitcairn » Thu May 07, 2009 9:18 am

Can I create an invisible window, put fields and buttons on it (or do this and then make the window invisible) so that the end user will not see it? I mean could an invisible window hold information, be functional, yet not be seen when cards moved through?

Thanks,
Richard
drpitcairn

Re: How can invisible windows be used?

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:52 am

rpitcairn wrote:Can I create an invisible window, put fields and buttons on it (or do this and then make the window invisible) so that the end user will not see it? I mean could an invisible window hold information, be functional, yet not be seen when cards moved through?

Thanks,
Richard

Yes. You can put everything onto a window and set the window's position to -1000,-1000 which will hide it off-screen. You may want to make it a palette window so that it doesn't show up in your windows menu, or interfere with determining which window is the TopWindow or which one has the focus. If you do make it a palette, you may want to expressly refer to it when you are manipulating objects and scripts to make sure that messages are going to the right place.

For instance
send mouseUp to button "do stuff" of wd "myhidden window"

get line 5 of field "special instructions" of wd "myhidden window"
Joe Koomen
>> Random! ...Damn near killed 'em! <<
JoeKoomen2011

Postby drpitcairn » Thu May 07, 2009 10:00 am

That's great Joe. I checked the User Manual after reading your message and I see palette windows mentioned but could not find any discussion of what the different types of windows are used for. Maybe not there.
I will try what you suggest. Any limit on the number of windows for a project?

Thanks,
Richard
drpitcairn

Postby JoeKoomen2011 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:20 am

rpitcairn wrote: Any limit on the number of windows for a project?

Thanks,
Richard

I think the limit is the amount of available RAM. When you run out of memory you can't open any more. This would be affected by the content of the windows two. A Graphics heavy project would probably reach your RAM limit a lot faster than a text heavy one.

For window functions, look up "style" in the language guide.
Joe Koomen
>> Random! ...Damn near killed 'em! <<
JoeKoomen2011

Postby drpitcairn » Thu May 07, 2009 10:38 am

Excellent. I found "style" in the LG. Will study it further.
drpitcairn

Postby S. Leys » Thu May 07, 2009 11:00 am

rpitcairn wrote:Can I create an invisible window, put fields and buttons on it (or do this and then make the window invisible) so that the end user will not see it? I mean could an invisible window hold information, be functional, yet not be seen when cards moved through?

Yes, you can hide or show windows or open them invisible or set the visible of a window to true or false (you can set the visible with the contextclick menu).

S.
S. Leys

Return to Using MPI