What is the difference between custom window and movable?

Here's where to discuss using Stéphane Leys' very well done alternative runtime editor. If you're a control freak at runtime you have to check this out!

What is the difference between custom window and movable?

Postby drpitcairn » Thu May 07, 2009 9:20 am

I notice that the default window in MPI seems to be "custom" but I can't move it around the screen. If I change it to "movable" then of course I can but trying to access MPI modules just gives me a beep. So I have to change it back to "custom". Just the way it works?

Thanks,
Richard
drpitcairn

Re: What is the difference between custom window and movable?

Postby S. Leys » Thu May 07, 2009 10:57 am

rpitcairn wrote:I notice that the default window in MPI seems to be "custom" but I can't move it around the screen. If I change it to "movable" then of course I can but trying to access MPI modules just gives me a beep. So I have to change it back to "custom". Just the way it works?

What do you mean by "the default window" ?
All the MPI modules can be moved. The titlebar is often at the left, thus you must drag them by their left. But you can drag them by the empty parts of the content, like a metal window. Don't try modifying MPI, changing the style of MPI windows ... etc is a VERY BAD idea, it can only bring you trouble. Especially setting the style to a modal style like movable is the worst thing you can do.

S.
S. Leys

Postby S. Leys » Thu May 07, 2009 11:10 am

Stephane Leys wrote:
rpitcairn wrote:I notice that the default window in MPI seems to be "custom" but I can't move it around the screen. If I change it to "movable" then of course I can but trying to access MPI modules just gives me a beep. So I have to change it back to "custom". Just the way it works?

What do you mean by "the default window" ?
All the MPI modules can be moved. The titlebar is often at the left, thus you must drag them by their left. But you can drag them by the empty parts of the content, like a metal window. Don't try modifying MPI, changing the style of MPI windows ... etc is a VERY BAD idea, it can only bring you trouble. Especially setting the style to a modal style like movable is the worst thing you can do.

Or did I misundertood what you're saying ?
A movable window is a dialog, thus modal, it is normal that it beeps when you try to click somewhere else, you must reply to the dialog before doing anything else, this is the normal behavior. But you can change the style of the wd, even a dialog or a movable using the contextclick popup menu.
Which window exactly is movable ? how did you get this window ? Tell us exactly what you did and what happened, I confess that I don't understand clearly the problem.

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Thu May 07, 2009 11:34 am

The project window is what I am referring to. It does not have a title bar on the top and I cannot move it on my screen. I thought this happened when I installed MPI. If I want to move it I have to change it from style "custom" to style "movable" and then a title bar appears and I can move it around the screen. But when in that style, the MPI modules stay open but I can't use them. If I click on one it just beeps. I have to change the project window back to "custom" to be able to proceed as usual. Sounds like this is not the usual setup. Maybe I did something when changing the size of the window.
drpitcairn

Postby S. Leys » Thu May 07, 2009 12:40 pm

rpitcairn wrote:The project window is what I am referring to. It does not have a title bar on the top and I cannot move it on my screen. I thought this happened when I installed MPI. If I want to move it I have to change it from style "custom" to style "movable" and then a title bar appears and I can move it around the screen. But when in that style, the MPI modules stay open but I can't use them. If I click on one it just beeps. I have to change the project window back to "custom" to be able to proceed as usual. Sounds like this is not the usual setup. Maybe I did something when changing the size of the window.

The movable style is a MODAL style i.e. it has the behavior of dialog, so what you describe is the expected behavior. This style of window , dialogs and movable are used to prompt the user to get an info without which the program can't continue, thus the program forces the user to answer.
What you want is a window of an editable style, standard or scrolling or anything except dialog, movable or palette.
Right-clik this window and select the style in the popup menu.

Image 1.png
Image 1.png (48.64 KiB) Viewed 3975 times

In this menu, "movable" is in the same group as "dialog"

In any case, MPI didn't change the style of your window if you didn't explicitly told it to do so.
This may be done with the contextclick or from the "window" card of the PI. Are you sure that you didn't select one of these menus inadvertently ?

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Thu May 07, 2009 12:54 pm

Thanks Stephane. I understand better. I took "movable" simply to mean I could move it. I need to study window types. Not obvious to me what the different uses are yet.
I may have selected "custom" at some point not knowing what I was doing. I will change and thanks again for your help.

R.
drpitcairn

Postby S. Leys » Fri May 08, 2009 12:28 am

rpitcairn wrote:window in MPI seems to be "custom" but I can't move it around the screen.

BTW, I forgot to tell you, in MPI, you can move any window style by ctrl-opt dragging an empty part of the card (ctrl-opt an object edits the userprops of the object).

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:03 am

Thanks Stephane, I had forgotten it but very useful and I copied and saved it for future reference.
drpitcairn

Return to Using MPI