Help me with window/bg/card sizing?

Here's where to discuss using Stéphane Leys' very well done alternative runtime editor. If you're a control freak at runtime you have to check this out!

Help me with window/bg/card sizing?

Postby drpitcairn » Thu May 28, 2009 9:29 am

I can't seem to figure out how to manage this. I use the PI to set the size of all 3, say to a minimum of 600/400 but it won't hold. Every time I do that and come back to the settings they have reverted back to what they were. Can you give me some guidance? I remember too once seeing some command that allowed me to set the wd to bg size or something like that but can't find it again.

Thanks,
Richard
drpitcairn

Re: Help me with window/bg/card sizing?

Postby S. Leys » Thu May 28, 2009 10:00 am

rpitcairn wrote:I can't seem to figure out how to manage this. I use the PI to set the size of all 3, say to a minimum of 600/400 but it won't hold. Every time I do that and come back to the settings they have reverted back to what they were. Can you give me some guidance? I remember too once seeing some command that allowed me to set the wd to bg size or something like that but can't find it again.

Cards don't have a size.
Backgrounds have a backsize.
Windows have a windowsize.
If the dontlimitwindows is false, the size of the window can't be larger than the backsize. If the dontlimitwindows is true, you can have the same thing for a specific window by setting its dolimitwindow.

Tell me exactly what is the result you want to get and what you're doing to get it. I can tell you where it doesn't work only if you describe precisely, step by step, what you're doing.

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Thu May 28, 2009 10:21 am

I have a converted stack that has very small cds and I want to make them larger. So I open the PI where I can see sizes and set those sizes to what I want but they are not retained. Then I set the "minimum size" settings to what I want thinking at least that would be the minimum, but that did not work either.
I am attaching pictures of what I did for wd and bg sizes. See the arrows pointing to the minimum settings I put in. The cd below is what I am trying to change.
wd settings Copy.png
wd settings Copy.png (53.29 KiB) Viewed 4032 times

bg settings Copy.png
bg settings Copy.png (24.54 KiB) Viewed 4031 times
drpitcairn

Postby S. Leys » Thu May 28, 2009 10:57 am

rpitcairn wrote:I have a converted stack that has very small cds and I want to make them larger. So I open the PI where I can see sizes and set those sizes to what I want but they are not retained. Then I set the "minimum size" settings to what I want thinking at least that would be the minimum, but that did not work either.

You must FIRST set the backsize of the bg. Type cmd-B, the PI will show you the properties of the bg.
When the bg (and thus all the cards it contains) have the size you wish, you can enlarge the window. You can for instance, set the resizable of the wd to true and enlarge it with the size box. If the dontlimitwindows is false, you can't set it larger than the backsize.
The reason why you can't enlarge the window is that the dontlimitwindows is false and the backsize is too small. MPi can't set the size of the window larger than the backsize because SC limits this size.
If you set the dontlimitwindows to true (select global properties in the popup of the PI), you can make the window larger than the backsize but then, you'll see the grey area around the backsize.
S. Leys

Postby S. Leys » Thu May 28, 2009 11:04 am

rpitcairn wrote:I am attaching pictures of what I did for wd and bg sizes. See the arrows pointing to the minimum settings I put in. The cd below is what I am trying to change.

And, BTW, the minimumsize doesn't do what you think. It is not relevant here because your window doesn't seem to be resizable.
The minimumsize is used to control how small a window can be when resized with the grow box.
Read the LG about minimumsize.

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Thu May 28, 2009 11:33 am

S,
Thanks. Now I understand. I thought I had first changed the bg settings but mus not have done it right because this time it worked. I also now understand about the minimumsize and see that I had it backwards. I might ask you why one would want to make the wd larger than the backsize. Does it sometimes serve a purpose to do that? (that is set dontlimitwindows to true)
drpitcairn

Postby S. Leys » Thu May 28, 2009 12:22 pm

rpitcairn wrote: I might ask you why one would want to make the wd larger than the backsize. Does it sometimes serve a purpose to do that? (that is set dontlimitwindows to true)

I don't know but you can be sure that if it wasn't possible somebody would complain about that ;-)

Actually, the true dontlimitwindows behavior was the default behavior of early versions of SC. The dontlimitwindows property was introduced only later.
Setting the (the is required for global properties) dontlimitwindows to true may be useful though, for people who want to store some objects in the grey area and move them here with the pointer tool.

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Thu May 28, 2009 1:07 pm

Very interesting. I tried that with a card and indeed the gray area showed up. So I used it (the gray) to put some notes I have about the project into that area, so I see how that could be of use. Also interesting that when I went from cd to cd that the cd reverted to the prior size but I could still resize it and see the gray area.

Thanks for your help.

Richard
drpitcairn

Postby S. Leys » Thu May 28, 2009 11:00 pm

rpitcairn wrote: Also interesting that when I went from cd to cd that the cd reverted to the prior size but I could still resize it and see the gray area.

It doesn't do this here. You probably have a script resizing the wd on opencard.

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Fri May 29, 2009 9:11 am

You are right. I found the script. :P
drpitcairn

Return to Using MPI