Printing not working - too big.

Here's where to discuss using Stéphane Leys' very well done alternative runtime editor. If you're a control freak at runtime you have to check this out!

Printing not working - too big.

Postby drpitcairn » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:54 am

New problem. I have a menu item to print the "analysis" card. It WAS working but no longer. Now when I print, the dialog comes up for page setup and the paper size is correctly 8.5 x 11. Then the printer dialog shows that it will print "within printable area" which works with all my other programs (using an HP officejet).
However what comes up is a card that is spread hugely over two pages. Of course this is not what the print dialog indicates will happen and I don't see how to fix it. I am attaching a pdf of the printout and you can see what I mean. Oops! Forum won't allow me to upload a pdf, so you will just have to imagine this huge card over two pages.

Code: Select all
on itemSelect
  lock screen
  set visible of bg graphic id 105 to false
  print this cd with dialogs
  set visible of bg graphic id 105 to true
  unlock screen
end itemSelect
drpitcairn

Re: Printing not working - too big.

Postby S. Leys » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:52 am

rpitcairn wrote:New problem. I have a menu item to print the "analysis" card. It WAS working but no longer. Now when I print, the dialog comes up for page setup and the paper size is correctly 8.5 x 11. Then the printer dialog shows that it will print "within printable area" which works with all my other programs (using an HP officejet).
However what comes up is a card that is spread hugely over two pages. Of course this is not what the print dialog indicates will happen and I don't see how to fix it. I am attaching a pdf of the printout and you can see what I mean. Oops! Forum won't allow me to upload a pdf, so you will just have to imagine this huge card over two pages.

Did you try printing from MPI file menu ? Does it work ?

S.
S. Leys

Postby Ken Norris » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:20 am

rpitcairn wrote:New problem. I have a menu item to print the "analysis" card. It WAS working but no longer. Now when I print, the dialog comes up for page setup and the paper size is correctly 8.5 x 11. Then the printer dialog shows that it will print "within printable area" which works with all my other programs (using an HP officejet).

on itemSelect
  lock screen
  set visible of bg graphic id 105 to false
  print this cd with dialogs
  set visible of bg graphic id 105 to true
  unlock screen
end itemSelect

I see several possible problems:

1) You've made bg grc id 105 invisible. I hope you don't expect to print that object with this script.

2) Check the backSize of the window. That comprises the actual card. If bg grc id 105 is invisible, and the printer is trying to print the card, it's probably wanting to print the background. If the backSize is larger than the windowSize, your size problem could be there.

3) My experience with HP printers and SC has been poor. Make absolutely sure you are using the very latest driver for your printer.

HTH ...

Also, are you attempting to print from a standalone?
All the best,
Ken N.
http://fhtinyradio.com/
kenn@fhtinyradio.com
Ken Norris

Postby drpitcairn » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:49 pm

S.,
I can print normally (as expected) with MPI File/print card command.

Ken,
The backsize of the window and bg is 800 x 600.
I put the bg graphic to invisible during print because it is a solid color graphic and I don't want to print all that color and use up ink.
I can print normally using the File menu in MPI. But the script I am using does not allow this. The same dialog windows seem to come up so this is why I am confused.
I have the same problem if print from the standalone copy or the project.

Best,
Richard
drpitcairn

Postby drpitcairn » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:56 pm

I just tried printing with a simpler menu item script — leaving the graphic untouched. Same issue.
I am attaching two pix of the situation so you can see what I mean.

print with menu.png
print using MPI File menu dialog
print with menu.png (35.9 KiB) Viewed 2983 times

print with script.png
print using the script I made
print with script.png (32.1 KiB) Viewed 2981 times
drpitcairn

Postby drpitcairn » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:06 pm

I may have figured it out. When I put the keyword "scale" in the script then the printed cd fit on the page. So now the script line reads like this:
print card dialog scale

It would seem that MPI File/print menu command prints OK but when the print function is put in a script it acts differently as to scale.
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can comment.
drpitcairn

Postby S. Leys » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:31 pm

rpitcairn wrote:I may have figured it out. When I put the keyword "scale" in the script then the printed cd fit on the page. So now the script line reads like this:
print card dialog scale

It would seem that MPI File/print menu command prints OK but when the print function is put in a script it acts differently as to scale.
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can comment.

MPI just does this
Print Card with Dialogs scale

S.
S. Leys

Return to Using MPI