MPI 4.3.0

Here's where to discuss using Stéphane Leys' very well done alternative runtime editor. If you're a control freak at runtime you have to check this out!

MPI 4.3.0

Postby S. Leys » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:34 am

I have posted MPI 4.3.0 at the usual address : http://modulopi.pagesperso-orange.fr/
I apologize for this so long time when MPI couldn't be downloaded but I had MANY problems to solve. I've reset a 30 days evaluation period for everybody, even when the evaluation period of previous versions has expired.

Summary of the new features :

- The MPI module
• the menu bar may now be widen or shrunk. The "bg" checkbox may be visible or not (use contextclick for setting that).
• menu "Edit"
I implemented redo of text
Better enabling/disabling items relatively to message box (visible or not, selected or not)
More accurate text of the cut/copy/paste items telling what may be copied or pasted and where, depending of the context and the content of the clipboard.

- The PI module
• The shadow of rect and polygon buttons is now edited directly from the PI palette instead of having to open a dialog.
• Ditto, the tabdata and popupdata are now edited from a field in the PI palette. This field allows D&D for reordering the items and is edited, including icons, by context click.
• One can now also set the picturedata of imagewell buttons.
• I've changed the way of setting picturedata in the PI. I've removed these silly popupmenu buttons that I was never using (and I guess nobody else was using either).
• This is replaced by : 
- a "set" popup allowing to set picturedata to resources via the IP. Any icon type will be converted to picturedata.
- an "Export" popup containing new printing features. 
- another popup for setting the opcolor. Reminder : when setting the opcolor, MPI will prompt you for setting the ink to transparent. Then, the fillfore of the graphic will be visible through the picture, if you want to see the card, you need to set the showfill to false (I think that it's a good idea to set the showpen to false too, otherwise, the graphic is not easy to select with the pointer tool).

- The Icon Picker
I've finally done what I had to do since long and was always postponing because it's a can of worms : I've revisited the Icon Picker in depth.
It is now able to find cicn, ICON, icns, suites (ICN#, icl8 ...) and PICT resources from a large variety of files.
It can import the .icns files to icns resources.
It can also read the data of files with extensions tif,tiff,png,jpg,jpeg,mpeg,quicktime,mp4,bmp,pict,pct,gif,tga,photoshop and convert these data to a PICT resource to be used in bevel and imagewell buttons with contenttype = typePICT.
The folder of bundle apps may also be searched for files with these extensions.
New option for viewing the suites as large (ICN#,icl8 ,icm#,icm8) or small (ics#,icl8). Incomplete suites (often found in applications made by good for nothin’ people like M$ ;-) are filtered out since they wouldn't work in SC (but it is still possible to see the details in the resource module).
The IP can be opened from the contextclick popup without having to select the button with the pointer tool (submenu of item "edit").
In the IP, cons may be selected by a double click in the view vield instead of having to click the "OK" button.

- The Resource module
The RM has been also improved the same way as the IP and the synchronisation between the two modules has been improved (a change done in one of the two will update the other one). This module has an autozoom feature which may be set on or off with contextclick (in an empty area of the module, not in the resources lists where contextclick is used for sorting the list).

- The Find module
I have grouped the find and find text modules. The small palette "text search" is used for searching the fields of the current card. A disclosure button enlarges the palette to give access to extended search.
The text part can now search fields of palettes. For instance, you can search the content of userprops of one or more projects from the extended search, when double-clicking an item in the list of found results, MPI will open the content field of the uprops module and select the first found string, then you can type cmd-G to find the next instance of this string in the same user property.
The extended search has more options. One of them is to limit the search to current cd/bg/wd when searching the current project, much faster when there are many cards and you want to search only the current one.
When option-clicked, the checkboxes will behave like radio buttons (select the button clicked and unselect others), saves a few clicks.

- Improved stability of the Uprops module

- Improved speed and reliability of the browse module

- The Magnify module
I've added some features to this module and changed the interface (the way the options are accessed). Since I'm wondering if this change is easily understandable, I won't tell how it works but the interface is giving a clue. I would be glad to have some feedback about this. I already use this in other modules, if it is easy to understand, I may use it in more modules, otherwise, I'll need to find something else.
The frame custom palette is now resizable.
The magnified vue may be refreshed live while the palette is resized (optional).
Mousewheeling the magnified vue moves the frame (optional).

- Made some improvements to the "pop modules to front on mouseenter" feature so that it doesn't pop too much at an inopportune moment, especially when trying to catch the growbox of a module. This feature is now in the preferences ("misc" tab). The control key temporarily inverts the preference.

- The Alpha module
This release contains a first draft of a new module which allows setting the alpha layer of a graphic with picturedata.
pick an alpha color
set the alpha level for this color (alpha=0 means transparent, alpha=1 means opaque)
set a threshold around this color for the R,G and B components. Any pixel whose distance from the alpha color is <= to these thresholds will have the alpha level, other pixels will remain opaque. (hold down oprion key to synchronize the three sliders).
In the "MPI samples" folder, there is a "test alpha" project for testing this. Open, the Alpha module, select a graphic with the pointer tool and enjoy.

- The OGL module
The OGL module gives access to the Xogl XFcn. It allows programming OpenGL drawings using scripts as simple as Supertalk (I've called this "OglTalk" ;-). It allows the use of Supertalk control structures together with the Xogl commands.
The OGL module won't do anything if there is not a valid OGL graphic in the topwindow. You can create OGL graphic by D&D of the little cube at the topleft of the OGL module.
In the folder you downloaded, there is a folder named "MPI samples" (you can drag this folder where you like) where you'll find two projects "OGL training.sc45" and "OGL tutorial 5.sc45" .
I would recommend starting with the "OGL tutorial 5.sc45" project. It will open the OGL module automatically and show the scripts of the OpenGL graphics. This tutorial covers most of Xogl features, from the most basic ones to some quite sophisticated ones (perpective, lights, transparency, animations ...).
Then you may want to use the "OGL training.sc45" project for experimenting or create your own project, D&D the template OGL object from the module. This template OGL object contains a basic script from where you can start and try doing something more sophisticated from the examples of the scripts of the tutorial.
There is a contextclick in the edit field of the OGL module (when it is open) allowing some editing facilities and access to some info (the find module works on this script field).
You may also wish to look at the commands table from the popup menu of the OGL module. Some commands are explained but not all. But context clicking this table gives access to the OpenGL man pages online where you'll find useful information.

- In a previous version I had added the possibility to pick with the browse tool (with a doubleclicktime delay) a grc with picturedata and allowdrag to drop it to a grc or a field with allowobjects. This has been extended to dropping into text grcs and imagewell buttons.

- Revisited the gif transparency. I moved this to a goodie and improved the detection of colors with the dropper. This change together with the changes in the picturedata area of the PI makes the pictures module useless. However, the installer won't delete it.

Fixed a bug where the properties of the current cd were not updated in the PI when changed by script. And many other bugs.

S.
S. Leys

Return to Using MPI