SuperEdit from Santa?

Here's where to discuss using Stéphane Leys' very well done alternative runtime editor. If you're a control freak at runtime you have to check this out!

SuperEdit from Santa?

Postby drpitcairn » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:22 am

S.,
I am assuming that SuperEdit is the default alternative to MPI, right? I started early on using MPI and really like it. So I can ignore getting SuperEdit, right?
drpitcairn

Re: SuperEdit from Santa?

Postby S. Leys » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:16 am

rpitcairn wrote:I am assuming that SuperEdit is the default alternative to MPI, right? I started early on using MPI and really like it. So I can ignore getting SuperEdit, right?

No. The default alternative to MPI is the RTE. MPI is a runtime editor. When you open a project with SE, your scripts won't run. The advantage, as Mark says, is that the beast won't "squeak under the scalpel" but you need to go back to SC to test how your scripts work. I confess that I rarely use SE but it is essential for some things you can't do with a runtime editor, changing the number of a window for instance.
So, what you do is up to you but MPI and SE are two different things.
More details here :
http://supercard.us/SuperCard/developeredition.html

S.
S. Leys

Postby Scott » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:18 am

No... SuperEdit is an entirely different animal. SuperEdit allows you to edit your projects without being in runtime (i.e. no script execution and no autosave). Because of this it allows you to do things you can't physically do at runtime. Things like opening multiple cards and scripts, copying and reordering windows and menus, assigning different backgrounds to existing cards. Think of it as kind of a can opener for SuperCard projects. This kind of editor if one of the coolest things about SuperCard and there is nothing quite like it in any other xtalk.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby drpitcairn » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:13 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I did not realize the difference. Sounds useful.
drpitcairn

Postby drpitcairn » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:08 am

I hate to admit this but it looks like I have SuperEdit already since I originally purchased the Developer version. At least in the SC folder I see the file "SuperEdit 4.6 ap". So I am up to date, right? (And need to learn to use it, obviously).
drpitcairn

Return to Using MPI