Gradient

Here's where to discuss using Stéphane Leys' very well done alternative runtime editor. If you're a control freak at runtime you have to check this out!

Gradient

Postby johncollett » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:32 am

MPI : I was sorry to find the Gradients Module, one of my favorite toys, no longer included in the Modules folder. I dragged a copy of it from an earlier version into the current Modules folder, hoping it would work. It does allow setting the direction of the gradient, but choice of colors does not work, and alerts with a "Never heard of that function name". Is there anything I can do to be able to continue to use it? JC
johncollett

Re: Gradient

Postby S. Leys » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:11 am

jcollett wrote: I was sorry to find the Gradients Module, one of my favorite toys, no longer included in the Modules folder.

John,

You can do much more sophisticated gradients using the OGL module. You can link a color to each vertex of a polygon, OpenGL interpolates these colors automatically.
Open the OGL tutorial project and look at cd 4 of wd 1 for a simple example.

S.
S. Leys

Postby johncollett » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:08 pm

Yes, impressive. But all of that is far too complex. I am not looking for a new language to learn, I just want to draw a pretty little gradient with a couple of clicks, like I used to, and not get bogged down in a set of scripts the logic of which will continue to escape me. I am not using SC to stretch my brain, but to avoid having to stretch it. Thanks anyway.
johncollett

Postby S. Leys » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:39 pm

jcollett wrote:Yes, impressive. But all of that is far too complex. I am not looking for a new language to learn, I just want to draw a pretty little gradient with a couple of clicks, like I used to, and not get bogged down in a set of scripts the logic of which will continue to escape me. I am not using SC to stretch my brain, but to avoid having to stretch it. Thanks anyway.

The gradient module was based on an Xfcn i.e. PPC only (thus the error you got). I don't even remember where this xfcn comes from.
I'll try to see if I can do something simpler based on OpenGL but frankly, these little OGL scripts are not very hard to understand, you just have to give the coordinates of each vertex and the color associated to this vertex. The only thing to know is that OGL colors are R,G,B,A , all real numbers between 0 and 1.

S.
S. Leys

Return to Using MPI