How great is MPI?

Here's where to discuss using Stéphane Leys' very well done alternative runtime editor. If you're a control freak at runtime you have to check this out!

How great is MPI?

Postby drpitcairn » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:09 pm

I just feel motivated to express my enjoyment of this program. As I become more experienced with it I really appreciate the ease and control that MPI gives me. It is just great! So thanks Stephane.
drpitcairn

Re: How great is MPI?

Postby S. Leys » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:02 am

rpitcairn wrote:I just feel motivated to express my enjoyment of this program. As I become more experienced with it I really appreciate the ease and control that MPI gives me. It is just great! So thanks Stephane.

Thanks for saying it, Richard. A bit of support is encouraging.

BTW, now that you're using several windows, you'll probably find the Overview module useful. It allows editing objects without having to open the window where they are. Just context-click an item in the list.

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:59 am

S,
Yes, I had come across that and now opening windows from the Overview. Actually the Overview is very useful to me in terms of checking what buttons are on a card or bg, because I have several that are hidden.

Just recently I ventured into using SuperEdit as well, and now learned about reordering menus and windows, etc. Another level of learning!
drpitcairn

Postby S. Leys » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:59 am

rpitcairn wrote: learned about reordering menus and windows

You can reorder menus and menu items in MPI, just drag them in the lists. But for windows, only SE can do that.

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:35 am

I can reorder the submenu items in MPI, but not the menus. That is, in the window for menus the list on the left (of menus) will not respond to my dragging. But the list on the right that shows any submenu items WILL allow dragging to a new position.
Is this the way it is supposed to work?
drpitcairn

Postby S. Leys » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:21 am

rpitcairn wrote:I can reorder the submenu items in MPI, but not the menus. That is, in the window for menus the list on the left (of menus) will not respond to my dragging. But the list on the right that shows any submenu items WILL allow dragging to a new position.
Is this the way it is supposed to work?

Hm, I'll verify this, I didn't use it since long.

S.
S. Leys

Postby S. Leys » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:32 am

rpitcairn wrote:I can reorder the submenu items in MPI, but not the menus.

OK, I looked again at this module I very rarely use. This is the expected behavior.
There are two reasons why I did it this way :
1- Unfortunately, SC doesn't allow setting the number of objects. Menus are numbered are they are created and there is no way to change that except some dirty workaround which would consist in saving all the properties of menus, deleting them and recreating them in a different order. But this wouldn't have much interest. Since menus may be inserted in any position, their number doesn't matter very much.
2- D&D from the menus list is used to insert a menu into an item of another menu.
- select the menu where you want to insert
- drag another menu to an item in the items list of the selected menu.

Remember that these insertions done from the menus module are just for testing, you still need to write the script to insert them.

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:51 am

Thanks for checking. Not a problem. Easy to do in SuperEdit. I didn't know about dragging menu items to other menus, so good to know.
drpitcairn

Return to Using MPI