Advantages of MPI?

Here's where to discuss using Stéphane Leys' very well done alternative runtime editor. If you're a control freak at runtime you have to check this out!

Advantages of MPI?

Postby Mia » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:51 am

Could you point me to an explanation of the advantages of MPI over the RTE? And is it an either or proposition or can one switch between the two editors relatively seamlessly?
Mia

Re: Advantages of MPI?

Postby S. Leys » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:03 pm

Maria wrote:Could you point me to an explanation of the advantages of MPI over the RTE?

There are too many advantages to list them here ;-)
A typical difference is the PI (Property inspector). With the RTE, when you want to see or edit the properties of an object, you must double-click it and this opens a dialog. OTOH, the PI is a palette, even if double-clicking an object also opens it, it is actually designed to remain open permanently (it is much smaller than the RTE dialog). Any time you select another object, the PI will automatically display the properties of the selected object(s), allowing to see and edit their properties quickly.

And is it an either or proposition or can one switch between the two editors relatively seamlessly?

You can use them together if you like. I take care that there is no conflict between them and I didn't have any bug report about such an incompatibility since long.
MPI has a menu allowing to open and close the RTE quickly. The preferences allow setting MPI as the default editor, alone or together with the RTE.
But personally, I don't use the RTE because MPI offers the same features (and more).

The best is to try it, there is a one month free trial period.

S.
S. Leys

Re: Advantages of MPI?

Postby Mia » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Sounds Excellent. Thanks!
Mia

Return to Using MPI