Loss of icons, why?

Here's where to discuss using Stéphane Leys' very well done alternative runtime editor. If you're a control freak at runtime you have to check this out!

Loss of icons, why?

Postby drpitcairn » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:34 am

I worked yesterday on editing my project while away from home. Used my Macbook Air. Then transferred my project back to my home computer via DropBox. When I open it on my home computer (Macbook Pro) all the icons for buttons are gone.
If I open a copy from BEFORE transferring it to the other computer, all the button icons are there. The copy edited and copied back — no icons.

Same OS on both computers and duplicate folders and contents of my project.

Any idea why this is happening?

Richard
drpitcairn

Re: Loss of icons, why?

Postby S. Leys » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:00 pm

rpitcairn wrote:I worked yesterday on editing my project while away from home. Used my Macbook Air. Then transferred my project back to my home computer via DropBox. When I open it on my home computer (Macbook Pro) all the icons for buttons are gone.
If I open a copy from BEFORE transferring it to the other computer, all the button icons are there. The copy edited and copied back — no icons.

Same OS on both computers and duplicate folders and contents of my project.

Any idea why this is happening?

I don't know what is dropbox but did you zip the project before transfering it ? Some icons may be in the resource fork and the transfer may loose the resource forK This is just a guess but it's worth trying.

S.
S. Leys

Postby S. Leys » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:05 pm

Stephane Leys wrote:Some icons may be in the resource fork and the transfer may loose the resource fork

I you want to verify this, open the resource module and look at the resource fork of your project on both your 2 Macs.

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:08 pm

OK. Will do that when I get home. Away again. If the resources have been lost, is it because they are in another file? I am assuming not. If in project file, would zipping it work better in transfer?
drpitcairn

Postby S. Leys » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:34 pm

rpitcairn wrote:would zipping it work better in transfer?

The loss of the resource fork is a well known problem and zipping the file is know as the solution. I can't swear that it will work for you but the best way to know is to try.

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:55 pm

Seemed to work, at least this once, to zip the file. Thanks, will see how it goes.
drpitcairn

Return to Using MPI