Where is my window?

Here's where to discuss using Stéphane Leys' very well done alternative runtime editor. If you're a control freak at runtime you have to check this out!

Where is my window?

Postby drpitcairn » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:23 pm

I made a new project and when the dialogue came up for "Do you want to add an anchor window?" I said yes — which is what I thought I should do. Went ahead and made my fields, etc. and all worked fine.
Opened it today but no window appeared. The overview module (MPI) said it was open and visible but I sure could not see it.
I was finally able to open it by right clicking on window 2 (rubric builder) and opening that. So then what is the anchor window? (See the attached picture)
rubric builder.png
the overview module (MPI)
rubric builder.png (21.45 KiB) Viewed 4732 times

I just tried making a new one again and the same thing happened so obviously I don't know what anchor windows are.
Any help?

Thanks,
Richard
drpitcairn

Re: Where is my window?

Postby Scott » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:18 pm

SuperCard doesn't ask you to create an anchor window so I am guessing this is MPI specific.

Moving topic to MPI forum.

Anchor windows usually are not designed to contain content or to even be on screen. Their purpose is to keep the application open without a visible window open as closing all windows of a project will quit SuperCard.
Scott
Site Admin

Postby drpitcairn » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:50 pm

Thank you. I will move the topic.
drpitcairn

Postby drpitcairn » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:53 pm

Oops! I see the topic already moved.
Just to add: I searched the MPI help for "window" and for "anchor" and don't find anything about it.

Richard
drpitcairn

Postby S. Leys » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:20 pm

supercardus wrote:SuperCard doesn't ask you to create an anchor window so I am guessing this is MPI specific.

Yes.

Anchor windows usually are not designed to contain content or to even be on screen. Their purpose is to keep the application open without a visible window open as closing all windows of a project will quit SuperCard.

The anchor window MPI creates is wd 1, it is visible but is off screen.
The project also has another window, on screen.
When opening the project, SC will open cd 1 of wd 1.
If you want to see this other window when you open the project, you must open it explicitly.
Code: Select all
on openproject
open wd 2
end openproject

(should I add this to the project script automatically ?)

If you want to edit the anchor window, context-click it in the overview module and choose "open", this will bring it on screen (then, you'll have to put it off screen again by setting its topleft).

The purpose of an anchor window is indeed to keep SC open if the user closes all visible windows but another interest is to allow deciding later of which window you show first when opening the project.

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:20 am

Thanks for the explanation. Makes good sense and a nice feature. I will put the script in. I don't think the script has to be there by default but maybe add this info to the Help database.

Richard
drpitcairn

Postby S. Leys » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:35 am

rpitcairn wrote:Thanks for the explanation. Makes good sense and a nice feature. I will put the script in. I don't think the script has to be there by default but maybe add this info to the Help database.

Remember that the consequence of having an anchor window is that, even if you close all its visible windows, the project will still be open.
To close the project, you can either use the file menu or, if you already closed the visible windows, context-click it either in the browse or the overview module.

BTW, in the "wd templates" tab of the preferences, there is a radio button about this anchor window.

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:19 am

S.,
I found the button in prefs.
If I change my mind and don't want an anchor window, is it as simple as just deleting it?

Thanks,
Richard
drpitcairn

Postby S. Leys » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:39 am

rpitcairn wrote:If I change my mind and don't want an anchor window, is it as simple as just deleting it?

Yes.
An anchor window has nothing special. It's a concept (well, let's say a trick ;) ).
Actually, SC is an engine. It can't live alone, it needs at least one card. One card means one window and one window means one project. Otherwise, SC will quit. The trick is just to give it one card off screen to play with so it doesn't quit.

S.
S. Leys

Postby drpitcairn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:56 am

I get it. Clever.
drpitcairn

Return to Using MPI