Here's where to post questions and suggestions regarding forum use. Requests for new forum topics should be posted here as well.

Postby Ken_Norris » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:15 pm

Howdy,

How did Vince and others get the Avatar image quality to come in at 6kb (or under)? I can't get an image with that kind of shading anywhere near that quality (even a JPEG at low quality stikk comes out at about 60kb.

Ken N.
Ken_Norris

Re: Avatar under 6kb?

Postby Dave_Higgins » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:42 pm

Ken_Norris wrote:How did Vince and others get the Avatar image quality to come in at 6kb (or under)? I can't get an image with that kind of shading anywhere near that quality (even a JPEG at low quality stikk comes out at about 60kb.

For mine, I used Photoshop's "Save To Web..." export. I started with a large image and adjusted the size (90 X 90) in the export window. I set it to PNG-24 and ended up with 7.something size.
My two favorite teams are Detroit and whoever's playing Chicago.
Dave_Higgins

Postby Lisa » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:10 pm

You can use iPhoto if you don't have Photoshop. I exported to jpg at medium quality, adjusting custom max pixels downard from 90 until the file size got down to 4kb (at 80x80).
iMac 24" 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.8, SC 4.7.3
Lisa

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:31 am

Hi Ken,

My avatar (logo) doesn't have a lot of color, so I saved it as a .gif using Photoshop's :Save For Web" feature, in fact, was able to even trim down the number of colors and still get a really great result. Think I got it down to 32 shades of grey IIRC. Not only that... got the added bonus there of being able to make it a .gif with a transparent background so the logo doesn't have a white square around it against the light color backgrounds on the forum. Weighs in at 3.4k or so.
Mike Yenco
YENCO.COM
Mike

Postby bmartin » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:53 am

I think the key is to reduce the image size to 90 x 90, then do the compression with what ever image editing tool you choose. My Avatar was much bigger so reducing the size and then making it into a png8 I believe in PhotoShop got the size down.
Bruce Martin

Mac Os 10.6.3
2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
bmartin

Postby Ken_Norris » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:53 pm

Dave Higgins wrote:
Ken_Norris wrote:How did Vince and others get the Avatar image quality to come in at 6kb (or under)? I can't get an image with that kind of shading anywhere near that quality (even a JPEG at low quality stikk comes out at about 60kb.

For mine, I used Photoshop's "Save To Web..." export. I started with a large image and adjusted the size (90 X 90) in the export window. I set it to PNG-24 and ended up with 7.something size.

OK thanks, I forgot to try that.
Ken_Norris

Postby Dan_Kelleher » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:55 pm

For my avatar, I scanned the original 1 inch x 3/4 inch photo fragment at 1200 dpi then opened up the tiff in Preview and did a color adjustment and saved it still as a tiff of 1176 x 2144 pixels and 7.2MB.
I then used SuperEdit to set the pictureData of an unlocked grc to it and then reduced it's size, proportionately, to 90 x 48 pixels, within the avatar guidelines (90 x90).
I then took a screenshot (cmd shift 4, drag) and the resulting png image was 12 kb, so I opened it in Preview and saved it as a 5.6 kb gif, within the guidelines (12 kb limit).
It's symbolic of silly old me.
At the age of about 53 in 2000 I was involved in it's production when I stuck my head into the kitchen after figuring out, at last, how I had confused&contorted a simple SuperCard script.
Daniel.Kelleher@umassmed.edu
SC4.7.3 OSX 10.7.2 Mac Pro
Dan_Kelleher

Return to Site News, Questions, and Feedback